OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Request for Review FAILED!!!

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Request for Review FAILED!!!

Postby marco » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:38 am

I'm using an "Email-Attachment Review Process". I receive a manuscript, i select and assign a reviewer from the list of registered reviewers and i click on the mail logo in order to send the request. the OJS gives me a default email where i ask the reviewer to collaborate but when i click on SEND but i receive two different errors then:

1) * Error Code 64: Host not available
* Background: The connection to the Web server was lost.

or

2) Error Code 404: Page not found

the error page is: http://pgrn.bioversity.cgiar.org/ojs/in ... fyReviewer

This problem comes out when the attachments pass 300kb. Is there a specific setting that i can edit? i only found the maximum file upload size which is set to 2Mb. i found a "HTTP_KEEP_ALIVE=300" under Apache Environment and a "Keep_alive=300" under HTTP Headers Information... could it be one of these?

please help me! this is urgent :(

thank you in advance!!

Marco
marco

Postby asmecher » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:04 am

Hi Marco,

From docs/FAQ:
2) Uploads of large files fail inexplicably.

A: This can be caused by certain Apache or PHP settings.

Apache 2.x has a LimitRequestBody directive that, if set to a low number, can lead to this behaviour. In particular, the default PHP packages for recent versions of Red Hat Linux set LimitRequestBody to 524288 bytes in /etc/httpd/conf.d/php.conf.

Low values for the PHP ini settings like post_max_size (default "8M"), upload_max_filesize (default "8M"), and memory_limit (default "8M") can also cause this problem.
Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby marco » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:47 am

Hi Alec, thanks for your reply.

- post_max_size is set to 8M
- upload_max_filesize is set to 2M
- memory_limit is set to 8M

if i start a submission and upload a 1.8M file everything works fine so why an email attachment of 305K doesn't work? Shouldn't the limit work the same for both uploads and attachments?
marco

Postby asmecher » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:59 am

Hi marco,

Some firewall products cause this kind of problem by watching for particular kinds of content in request strings; one product, for example, blocked all requests containing the words "DELETE" and "FROM" in that order in a misguided attempt to block SQL injection attacks. Of course, that content may well appear in a valid request, particularly as the request gets longer. I'd suggest that you try toying with your firewall, if you're able, to see if it's being accidentally triggered by the request.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support