OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Subscription Manager creating users?

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Subscription Manager creating users?

Postby amak » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:04 pm

Greetings.

I'd like to know if it's possible to permit Subscription Managers to create new users?

It's a little inconvenient to have to create users in 2 steps as 2 separate users.

Step 1: As Journal Manager, create the new user.
Step 2: As Subscription Manager, enrol the new user.

It would be great if a Subscription Manager could create the user, as well as enrolling them, as either a 2 step or a 1 step process.

An "icing on the cake" feature would be the ability to restrict Subscription Managers to enrolling users to a certain subscription type. For example, if I had two subscription types, "Standard Membership" and "Temporary Membership", then I could nominate one subscription manager for "standard memberships" and a different subscription manager for "temporary memberships".

Are such things possible? By configuration only? Or by tweaking some source settings?

Thanks,
amak

Postby asmecher » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:24 pm

Hi Amak,

I agree that subscription managers should be able to create users. I've created a Bugzilla entry for this at http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2716.

With regard to restricting subscription managers to particular subscription types, that's more specific to your situation, so unless we get a lot of requests for this feature, we're not likely to implement it. However, if you do write a patch or plugin to accommodate this, consider posting it here in case another user finds it valuable.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support