OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

LDAP Integration

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

LDAP Integration

Postby sean » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:56 pm

We would like to authenticate our OJS users via LDAP. However it seems that for a user to be authenticated via LDAP, he/she has to have an account in the local OJS database. This is slightly problematic for us, in that users will have to be created in the database before they can be authenticated via LDAP. With a University, that is hundreds/thousands of potential users of the OJS installation. Is there any way to work around this issue?
sean

Postby asmecher » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:58 pm

Hi Sean,

I assume you mean validating readers to see if they have subscriptions based on some external database. In this case, I wouldn't suggest using the authentication plugin, as that's more intended for editorial roles. If IP-based subscriptions aren't fine-grained enough, it's possible to validate users by creating a simple plugin that will check their status against an external database. If that suits your needs, let me know and I'll post some sample plugin code.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby sean » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:35 pm

Actually I was thinking about editorial roles. In that we want any lecturer at our University to be able to register using their LDAP credentials to review or edit journals. Any suggestions in this case?

Regards,
Sean
sean

Postby asmecher » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:39 am

Hi Sean,

That is a tougher situation. One major focus in OJS is integrity; it needs to be able to maintain a complete record of submission activity, and if records are maintained by an external database, there is no guarantee, for example, that the user account will stick around. That's why OJS requires a user account that matches the one in LDAP.

Typically the list of editorial users is small, but if you need to bring in a large number of acacounts, you might consider preloading the OJS database with records from your LDAP database. If so, I can provide advice.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby sean » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:52 am

Thanks Alec,

Is it possible to have OJS check the external directory via LDAP first and if a user exists in the external directory, then have OJS create a matching user account in its database?

Regards,
Sean
sean

Postby spatialguru » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:47 pm

sean wrote:Thanks Alec,

Is it possible to have OJS check the external directory via LDAP first and if a user exists in the external directory, then have OJS create a matching user account in its database?

Regards,
Sean

I'm still reading through some other threads, but I have this same question.
spatialguru

Return to OJS Technical Support