OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

DB error

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

DB error

Postby gunkel » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:35 am

Users of our online journal (zizekstudies.org) are receiving the following error from time to time:

DB error: Too many connections

I'm not quite sure how to address or fix this. Any advice?

Thanks much,
David.
gunkel

Postby asmecher » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:51 am

Hi David,

The best solution would probably be to turn up the number of connections allowed by your MySQL server in its my.cnf configuration file. If you can't do that, you might also try disabling the persistent connection support in OJS's config.inc.php (the "persistent" setting), although this will result in a slight decrease in performance.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

further problems

Postby gunkel » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:55 am

Alec,
Thanks for the quick reply. Since I am unable to change the number of connectsions allowed by my MySQL server, I tried the second item (disabling the persistent connection support in config.inc.php).

But now I get the following error:

DB Error: Access denied for user: 'ojs@localhost' (Using password: YES)

I tried to go back to the original config.inc.php and I still get the error. So Something is really screwed now.

Advice?...Thanks,
David.
gunkel

follow up

Postby gunkel » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:00 am

Alec,
Okay...I've figured out the previous problem. I had made the changes to my local "config.inc.php" file and uploaded it to the server. Unfortunately, it did not have all the configuration data that was entered and stored during set up on the server. And because I did an upload using the same name, I lost the original version that was working on the server (I should know better).

So I have gone in and manually added the right information for the database connection and the location of uploaded files. Everything seems to be working right now, with one exception: I can no longer login. I assume that this is because my login ID and password were also part of the initial set-up and are affected by this new file.

What is the best way to address this? Should I simply go through the ojs installion all over again? Or is there a way to fix this login problem directly in the files. I've looked through "config.inc.php" and it does not look as if the login data is stored in this file.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated,
David.
gunkel

solved

Postby gunkel » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:51 am

Alec,
Okay...just ignore me. I found the trouble. It was with the encryption setting. The default was md5. All I needed to do was change it to sha1.

Sorry for the hastle. As I tell my own students, you learn much more by figuring out the problem yourself. And this has really been a good learning experience for me.

Thanks for all your help,
David.
gunkel

Return to OJS Technical Support