OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

"Fatal Error" at Initial Login

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

"Fatal Error" at Initial Login

Postby warters » Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:38 pm

I just attempted an install of Open Journal and got this message when attempting to complete the install by logging in.

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /Library/Apache2/htdocs/review/include/session.inc.php on line 109

I'm on Mac OS X running PHP 4.3.2 and MySQL 4.0.15, having renamed my open journal directory to "review" as noted in the error message above.

Any thoughts on where to start troubleshooting?
Thanks,
Bill
warters

Postby kevin » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:16 pm

Hi,

I believe I know what the problem is. Mac OS X typically uses a case-insensitive filesystem and it looks like it is including the "DB.php" file from the PHP PEAR library rather than the file "db.php" under the include subdirectory of the OJS directory.

You should be able to resolve this by editing include/common.php in your OJS directory and changing this line:

Code: Select all
ini_set("include_path", ini_get("include_path") . ":" . dirname(__FILE__));

to

Code: Select all
ini_set("include_path",  dirname(__FILE__) . ":" . ini_get("include_path"));

This will put "<ojs_home>/include" at the start of the include path used by OJS rather than at the end so that the correct file will be included.
kevin

Not there yet...

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:55 pm

Kevin,
Thanks for your prompt response. I made the change you suggested to the common.php file, and got a new error as follows:

Parse error: parse error in /Library/Apache2/htdocs/review/include/common.php on line 30

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: _tr() in /Library/Apache2/htdocs/review/login.php on line 37

Is this progress, or evidence that your hunch was wrong :-)
Thanks again...
Bill

Postby kevin » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:41 pm

Is line 30 of include/common.php around where you made the change? Verify that the change was made as per my post, as it sounds like a syntax error.
kevin

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion