OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

mail() vs. smtp

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

mail() vs. smtp

Postby bernardforgues » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:40 am

Hi,
In spite of numerous attempts to solve the problem, OJS stubbornly refuses to send emails...
My ISP says I have to use mail() or sendmail().
From the config file, I suppose it's doable, probably by simply stating smtp=Off.
However, having browsed the forum, it seems there might be a problem with mail() for users behind firewalls.
So, I have three related questions:
1/ if I go with mail(), is a mere statement "smtp=Off" in the config file enough or do I have to change other settings?
2/ since I do have users behind firewalls, will I have problems contcting them through mail()?
3/ can I skip the whole problem by using a smtp server elsewhere? Or better yet, can I use my university's smtps secured server?
Many thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Bernard
bernardforgues

Postby asmecher » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:51 am

Hi Bernard,

When the smtp setting is Off in config.inc.php, OJS will use PHP's mail() function.

If you're using your ISP's mail server (which should be the case when using PHP's mail() function), it shouldn't matter whether or not users are behind firewalls.

Are all users failing to receive OJS emails? Or do some work? Have you checked to see if they're being caught by a spam filter?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby bernardforgues » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:56 am

Hi Alec,
Many thanks for your prompt answer.
Actually, no one has ever received an email.
Ever since we've gone online with the new site, several papers have been submitted without anyone being warned about it.
My fellow co-editors have also tried to get emails (by claiming they forgot their passwords), but to no avail.
I'll try the mail() route, then.
Thanks again!
Bernard
bernardforgues

Editors don't receive emails informing of new submissions

Postby bernardforgues » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:16 am

Hi Alec,

The situation here is better, but I still have problems.
Going with mail() worked: OJS now sends emails. Or rather, it sends *some* emails.

When someone submits a paper, s/he receives an acknowledgment, but the Editor doesn't know about the new submission.

I did check the "Send a copy to the journal's primary contact" box, but no way.

Any clue?

Thanks!

PS: once this works, I'll have another question :wink:
bernardforgues

Postby asmecher » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:32 am

Hi Bernard,

This is a known issue in OJS 2.1.1; try the patch at http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2086.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support