OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Journal synchronization between OJS instances

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Journal synchronization between OJS instances

Postby linde111 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:25 am

Hi,

This is actually a question to check that this indeed isn't possible with available plugins or something else, unless....

Q: For exporting and importing data I found 2 major plugins for users and articles. An OJS journal however has more related data then this. If you would like e.g. to transfer a complete journal with all articles and related configuration data (everything mentioned in 'Journal Management') from one OJS instance (say: TEST) to another (say: PRODUCTION), you would like to have 1 'tool' for this to perform the show.
Is such a 'tool' available and, if not, what would be your thoughts about journal synchronization between OJS instances?

Thanks,

Gerard.
linde111

Postby asmecher » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:18 pm

Hi Gerard,

Tasks like moving and synching installations are best approached using traditional server admin tools like mysqldump and rsync; we debated including custom tools with OJS but decided that these would be either incomplete or, at best, simply re-implementations of existing tools.

If you describe the tasks you want to accomplish in more detail, I may be able to suggest an approach.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby linde111 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:29 am

Hi Alec,

I actually mend syncing 1 complete journal between 2 OJS installations rather then syncing a complete OJS installation (=all journals), including configuration data like email templates, users+roles, etc.

Regards,

Gerard vd Linde
Utrecht University Library
Netherlands

PS. The trigger for this question was that a new journal was developed on our OJS-TEST system, with some effort made on the configuration side. In order to move this journal to the OJS-PRODUCTION system without redoing all the configuration stuff, it seemed obvious to check for such a journal export / import method.

I also think that this approach can be done more easily by simply add a new journal on PRODOCTION and not have it visible on the front-page until it it fully configured. If things need to be tested in a way that can''t be done on PRODUCTION, a complete sync from PRODUCTION to TEST would be an option, if you don't bother about overwriting all the test data ofcoarse.....
linde111

Postby asmecher » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:45 am

Hi Gerard,

No, we don't currently have such a feature; off the top of my head, I'd be concerned that the maintenance demands of keeping such a feature current across different releases of OJS would probably outweigh the benefits. I'd suggest working your way through the database layout starting with the "journals" table and seeing what links to it by journal_id; you should be able to work outwards from there to determine what records pertain to a specific journal and sync them via some custom code.

If we see enough demand for this feature, I'd say we'll consider adding it -- but it'll be a significant amount of code.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support