OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Abstract text -- is there a size/character limit?

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Abstract text -- is there a size/character limit?

Postby Chris_A » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:04 am

I was just wondering whether there was a limit to the number of characters allowed in the "Abstract" field for a journal.

I had a lot of trouble with one issue centered around one particular article. I couldn't work out what was wrong with the XML for that article. It seemed OK (no illegal characters) yet the article brought the upload process to a dead halt. Take the article out and everything was fine.

Eventually I hit on the idea of trimming the abstract of the last few lines (don't ask me how!) and suddenly all the problems vanished.
Chris_A

Postby asmecher » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:29 pm

Hi Chris,

There's no limit on the abstract length in the database; it uses a "text" type field, which is variously implemented as a blob-like field depending on what database you're using. The most likely cause for a failure is if you're copying and pasting from something like Microsoft Word, which uses "smart quote" characters that are technically non-standard. Was there an error message displayed? If not, could you check the logs for one? That will generally indicate the problem.

We'll likely be incorporating a work-around for smart quotes in the next release.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby Chris_A » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:20 pm

Hi Alec,

There was an error message (to do with the character string being too long for keyword field or something along those lines) but I think the problem was related to copying and pasting (in this case, from a web page containing the abstract text).

Normally I obtain the abstract text in a different manner, it was just the archive issues of this particular journal that I did in this manner.

Cheers,
Chris
Chris_A

Postby asmecher » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:28 am

Hi Chris,

It's probably the indexing code, which has been tweaked in CVS to correct one or two potential problems with extremely long keywords. If you have further trouble, could you post the error message here?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support