OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Possible existing features/plugins ?

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Possible existing features/plugins ?

Postby ANobbe » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:47 pm

Hi,

i´m looking for some features/plugins to extend the existing OJs or maybe they´re already existing.

1) Is it possible to directly export the whole database using an plugin (selfwritten) ? One approach as far as i see could be a closer look at the user and archive/article import-export-plugins and generate a combination of both. But isn´t there a slightly better way to fulfill this ?

2) I´m planning an automated backup. For this the scheduling seems the right place. So i would try to write a plugin that allows to directy add scheduling events (backup) via the journal management page. Are there any already existing examples or maybe even solutions ?

3) As far as i can see there isn´t currently any automatic selection for reviewers based on chosen interests. So at the user registration they should be able to select sections/interests they´re interested to review and at selecting the reviewers the editor could the system let choose the acceptable reviewers (based on the interests).

Thanks for any advice/suggestion in forward,
Alexander
ANobbe

Postby asmecher » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:27 pm

Hi Alexander,

Database backups are much better accomplished with the DBMS tools for the job, such as mysqldump. Automatically scheduled backups can be accomplished with standard server tools such as cron.

We haven't implemented anything for automatic reviewer selection, but as always, if we get sufficient user interest we'll look into it further. Automatic matching could be a very tricky task, unless a controlled vocabulary for reviewing interests could be implemented -- something we're considering.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Some questions

Postby ANobbe » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:33 am

Hi,

and many thanks for the answers. But there are some points i´m still wondering what to do. Is there any example how to call commandline commands like "mysqldump"/"mysql" from the Management Pages ?
And the next question following this, is it possible to schedule these commandline tasks via an Management interface ? I´ve in mind a very symplicated kind of interface, just enabling the automatic backup and set the day (mo-so/every day) and the hour/min(am/pm). So for example i´m setting it to every day, 11:23 pm.

At the moment i´m not really understanding how to execute system commands from the interface although i´m sure it should be possible (isn´t ClearDataCache from the site administrator´s page using a shell ?).

For the idea of the automatic selecting the reviewers,the current idea is to set a constant amount of possibilites (chosen by journal manager -> sections) which a user/reviewer could choose of at registration. Also the journal manager could change these in the user settings/the user himself.
Then there shoudl be a possibility for the editor to set the unassigned submission to himself and activate the automatic selection. This selects all the entries from a new created table containing the section id´s and the related user id´s and get´s the reviewers with the least reviews (and of course the right interests) and selects them as reviewer a,b,c and switches to the normal reviewing.

Well, thanks anyway for your help.

Alexander
ANobbe

Postby asmecher » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:38 pm

Hi Alexander,

Is there a particular reason you want to run backups and database dumps through the web interface? It's typically less reliable and secure than standard mechanisms (e.g. Cron and mysqldump).

As for automated reviewer assignments, I think a controlled vocabulary (the same thing as you're talking about when you mention a "constant amount of possibilities") will get you halfway there; that is the part we're considering implementing. The automatic assignment itself is a little specific to your situation, however, and you may want to consider writing a plugin for it.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support