OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Error: Sorry, the requested user does not exist.

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Error: Sorry, the requested user does not exist.

Postby yaliang » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:22 am

Dear All:

Recently, I got a problem about user's e-mail address. A user updated his e-mail address after submitted a paper. However, the data shown on the review page was not automatically updated (the old e-mail address was still used). When the Journal Manager checked the user's profile, the new e-mail address was correctly set. But when the JM tried to send an e-mail by clicking the "letter icon", an error message was shown "Sorry, the requested user does not exist". I think there might be a problem or bug in the database.
Could anybody give me some suggestions to fix the problem with phpmyadmin?

Best Regards,
Yaliang
yaliang

Postby asmecher » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:12 am

Hi Yaliang,

When a user submits an article, their metadata (name, email address, etc) is used as a default but tracked differently thereafter; this is done so that a user can change their account information without modifying previously published articles. If you want to correct the email address for an author, you'll need to edit the submission's metadata by following the link on its Summary page.

I'm not sure why you're seeing the "Sorry, the requested user does not exist" message. Is the username numeric?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby andreas_b » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:57 pm

I am having a similar problem: I try to email a user by clicking the green email icon from a user's profile and receive the error message

Sorry, the requested user does not exist.

This only happens if I click the email link from within a users profile. However, if I click the email link when viewing the full list of users, it works.

I compared the two links that the email icon points to and the difference seems to be that the link that works points to

http://mydomain.com/index.php/CAR/user/email?to[] ...

while the link that doesn't work points to

http://mydomain.com/index.php/CAR/manag ... Profile?to[] ...

It's the "userProfile" bit of the URL that I need to change to make the link work.

I am assuming it's a coding error somewhere? Any idea how I can fix it in the code?
andreas_b

Postby andreas_b » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:18 pm

I think I found a fix for the problem. It really does seem as if the link was going to the wrong page. To change the link I modified line 50 in the templates/manager/people/userprofile.tpl and changed it from

{url|assign:"url" to=$emailString|to_array redirectUrl=$currentUrl}

to

{url|assign:"url" page="user" op="email" to=$emailString|to_array redirectUrl=$currentUrl}
andreas_b

Postby asmecher » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:47 pm

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the heads-up -- the Bugzilla entry and a link to the patch are at http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2695. The fix you describe is correct.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support