OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Restricted access for section

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Restricted access for section

Postby Wilfried Ivens » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:48 am

We have several sections in our journal. Most of the sections have open access.
However, in one section students publish their personal Statement of Purpose (SoP). We would like to limit the access to that SoP section to the students (and their tutors) only. So no open access for that specific section.
I can't find a way to setup the journal/sections in such a way that all sections have open access accept for one.
Do you have solutions for this?
Wilfried Ivens

Postby asmecher » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:32 am

Hi Wilfried,

You can't declare a particular section to be open access, but you can achieve the same thing on a per-article basis. Configure your journal for subscriptions, and when you're looking at the Editor's "Table of Contents" interface, you should be able to define individual articles as "Default" (meaning the default issue level of access, which should be configured for subscriptions) or "Open Access". Set the Statement of Purpose to "Default" and the rest to "Open Access".

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby Wilfried Ivens » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:45 am

Hi Alec,

Thank you for your quick and clear reply.

Unfortunately your suggestion does not give the right result.

In Setup 4.3 Online Access Management I chose "The journal will require subscriptions to access......."

In the Editor's table of content I chose 'default' for the Statements of Purpose and 'open' for the other articles.

After logging out and accessing the journal without logging in I still have access to both the Statements of Purpose and the other articles.

What did I do wrong?

Regards,
Wilfried Ivens
Wilfried Ivens

Postby asmecher » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:36 am

Hi Wilfried,

You also need to set the default level of access as Editor on the issue's "Issue Data" page. It should be set to use subscriptions, with the open access date set to something in the future.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
---
asmecher

Still not working

Postby Wilfried Ivens » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:35 am

Dear Alec,

I did all the actions required (including setting in ISSUE DATA the Access status on 'subscription' and Open access Date "in the far future').
Again all the arcticles keep open access, never mind togling between default and open access.
What else could be wrong?
Thank you in advance for your suggestions,
Wilfried Ivens
Wilfried Ivens

Postby asmecher » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:42 am

Hi Wilfried,

When looking at the articles, are you still logged in with an editorial account (i.e. Journal Manager, Editor, etc.)? Users with those roles are assumed to be subscribed.

Alternately, do you have any IP-based or domain-based subscriptions?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
---
asmecher

Postby Wilfried Ivens » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:39 am

Hi Alec,
When looking at the articles I'm NOT logged in as Journal manager, editor, section editor .......

Actually I don't know whether the subscriptions are IP or domain based, however I had a look at the articles (not logged in) from two different users within our local workplace network and from one user outside our local network. All users got the same look (i.e. all articles open for access).

Best Regards,
Wilfried
Wilfried Ivens

Postby asmecher » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:36 pm

Hi Wilfried,

Please try the patch at http://pkp.sfu.ca/cvs/cvsweb.cgi/ojs2/classes/subscription/SubscriptionDAO.inc.php.diff?r1=1.17;r2=1.18 to see if it corrects the problem. Let me know if you need any help with patches.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
---
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support