OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Status "Queued for review" even after decision

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Status "Queued for review" even after decision

Postby jmir » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:30 am

In OJS 2.x, I still see the status "Queued for review" even after a decision "revision required" has been made and the comments from round 1 were sent to the author.

Is this a bug, or am I missing something here? This is potentially VERY confusing for authors.
jmir

Postby John » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:24 am

Gunther
Not to worry; you're not missing a thing. But see if this makes sense: We imagine that authors would understand that if the decision is "revision required," then their submission has not been accepted and not been rejected but is still, in fact, under revirew, if only by the editor. If you recieve any emails from confused authors on this point, do send them our way as we are always listening and rethinking the system.
Thanks
John
John

thanks, but..

Postby jmir » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:36 am

.. i would STRONGLY suggest to change this and to make the status more clear. If the editor has made a decision and waits for the revision, then the status line should indicate exactly that - that the editor waits for action by the author, and not imply the opposite. Usability 101 - clear status messages.
jmir

declined

Postby jmir » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:44 am

now even worse - I just declined a paper, it was moved to the archive, and it shows "Queued for editing" as status for the author !
jmir

Postby asmecher » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:33 am

Hi Gunther,

Do you mean that the archived submission appears in the Author's "Active" list as "Queued for Editing", or that it appears in the "Archive" list as "Queued for Editing"?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby jmir » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:51 pm

This is completely messed up - perhaps it has to do with the fact that these papers were imported from OJS1? I hope the new submissions will be smoother.

1) I declined it, the status went to "queued for editing". The paper showed up in none of the views
* Unassigned
* In Review
* In Editing
* Archives
2) I pressed "archive", and the email template for "unsuitable submission" popped up
3) the paper is now in the archives, but shows "archived" as status, not "declined".

asmecher wrote:Hi Gunther,

Do you mean that the archived submission appears in the Author's "Active" list as "Queued for Editing", or that it appears in the "Archive" list as "Queued for Editing"?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
---
jmir

Postby jmir » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:20 pm

Help, anybody? Is this a bug or a feature? Is this the way it should be??

jmir wrote:This is completely messed up - perhaps it has to do with the fact that these papers were imported from OJS1? I hope the new submissions will be smoother.

1) I declined it, the status went to "queued for editing". The paper showed up in none of the views
* Unassigned
* In Review
* In Editing
* Archives
2) I pressed "archive", and the email template for "unsuitable submission" popped up
3) the paper is now in the archives, but shows "archived" as status, not "declined".

asmecher wrote:Hi Gunther,

Regards,
Alec Smecher
---
jmir

Postby John » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:05 am

This appears to be a bug in the import from OJS1 function, and will be filed as such in Bugzilla...

These two aspects are working as designed...

Thanks,
John
John

Postby msaghaei » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:15 am

I noticed that under the following circumstance some articles may become invisible to the EDITOR
As an EDITOR or SECTION EDITOR in the summury page of a declined article if we click the 'Archive Submission' link and then click the 'Restore to Active List' link, the article will be untrackable for the EDITOR (i.e. it will not be listed in 'Unassigned', 'In Review', 'In Editing' or 'Archives'). But the SECTION EDITOR is able to see it listed under the 'In Editing' not under the 'Archives'. Under this circumstance the editor can view the article only by using a locator URL such as:
Code: Select all
http://base_url/index.php/path_to_journal/editor/submission/article_id

I think an easy and natural work around is to remove the 'Archive Submission' link from the summury page and include it in the Review page under the Editor Decision right into the Select decision dropdown list. This way it will be handled as an independent decision just like other decisions.

Anyhow I like to know how to disable the 'Archive Submission' link in summary page for the SECTION EDITOR.

Mahmoud
msaghaei

Postby asmecher » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:39 am

Hi Mahmoud,

Are you using OJS 2.1.1? Are these articles that have previously been published, or articles that have never been published?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
---
asmecher

Postby msaghaei » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:16 am

Hi Alec

I'm using OJS 2.1.1. This problem in only reproducible for papers which have not yet been published. Also if we publish these papers the problem resolve.

Regards,

Mahmoud
msaghaei

Postby asmecher » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:02 pm

Hi Mahmoud,

Hmm, this could be difficult to debug from here. Would you be willing to provide me with a full or partial database dump? Please contact me personally.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
---
asmecher

Postby asmecher » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:26 pm

FYI all,

This turned out to be a bug relating to papers that were declined but had not yet been archived. Installing newer versions of the following files:
  • classes/submission/sectionEditor/SectionEditorSubmissionDAO.inc.php
  • classes/submission/sectionEditor/SectionEditorSubmission.inc.php
  • classes/submission/editor/EditorSubmission.inc.php
  • classes/submission/editor/EditorSubmissionDAO.inc.php
...should correct the problem. This will be fixed with the release of OJS 2.2. See docs/README-CVS for information on accessing pre-release code.

If you'd rather not modify the code, you can work around the problem by following this process to deal with a rejected submission:
  • Record a "decline" decision
  • Use the "Notify Author" link to let the author know why the submission was turned down
  • Go to the Summary page and Archive the submission (you may need to skip sending the author another message letting them know, as you've just sent them a message).
This will cause submissions to show up in the Archive.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
---

Al
asmecher

Postby jmir » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:32 am

Re your workaround, I experience the following problems:
1) Manual archiving (even if “skip emailâ€
jmir

Postby asmecher » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:33 am

Hi Gunther,

1) Emails that have been skipped still appear in the email log. This is already scheduled for change in OJS 2.2 in Bugzilla (see http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2712).

2) Declined submissions, once archived, should have a status of "Archived". The "Declined" / "decline" term is reserved for the review process.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
---
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support