OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

decision templates

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

decision templates

Postby jmir » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am

Just upgraded from OJS 1.x to OJS 2.x and still find that the system has a LOT of usability problems - obviously the developers are not users of the system!

My first question is how to send an acceptance email notification based on a template to the author - when making a decision I don't want to create an email from the scratch, and the decision email form is empty - and I don't even see an option to create different templates for different decisions.
jmir

Postby asmecher » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:24 am

Hi Gunther,

This forum is a good venue for making constructive usability suggestions. Users who have just upgraded from OJS 1.x are often quite surprised, as the application is extremely different, but users are generally quite happy with the system once they've settled into it. Keep in mind that our focus is keeping things simple for external users such as Reviewers and Authors while keeping the Editor roles as powerful and flexible as possible -- and therefore somewhat complex.

In the past, we had decided not to provide templates for editor decision messages to authors because the message is too variable for boilerplate text. We've reconsidered this decision and the next release will have email templates included.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

oh dear...

Postby jmir » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:43 am

This is quite a nightmare, to be honest. Of course every editor has standard texts for different recommendations, acceptance emails, revision emails etc., rather than authoring individual messages to each author from the scratch.
I am mystified why OJS2.x doesn't support this. Among all the email templates these appear to be the most important ones. OJS 1.x also didn't include different texts for different recommendations, but at least I could preload one large template from which I deleted the sections which didn't apply.

It looks like I have to store my email templates in a word document and start copy & pasting... Quite annoying and extremely timeconsuming.
jmir

Return to OJS Technical Support