OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Cannot add user: user with this email already exists

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Cannot add user: user with this email already exists

Postby koantum » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:17 pm

I am in the process of enlisting editors prior to opening a new journal for submissions. When I (as journal manager) try to add a user (as editor), I get an error message saying that a user with this email already exists. But no such user exists. What can I do?
koantum

Actually the problem is different: existing user not seen

Postby koantum » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:10 am

I figured out that the problem is of a different nature. I looked into the database and saw that a user with this email address has indeed registered. My question is now: why do I not see this user when I look at all users?
koantum

This soliloquy can be closed

Postby koantum » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:28 am

I figured out that the user had registered but was not enrolled. (I had chosen manual enrollment.) Topic closed!
koantum

Postby asmecher » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:58 am

Hi koantum,

This user still exists, but doesn't have a role in the current journal. To find the account, use the Journal Manager's Users interface to give the user a role:
  • Choose a role under Journal Management (e.g. Reviewer)
  • Click "Enroll Existing User" at the bottom
  • Find the account and click "Enroll" on the right-hand side.

If you want to remove the account, you can now use the "Merge Users" tool to transfer all their assets to another account, effectively deleting it without deleting any submissions, reviews, etc. associated with it. The account won't show up in the "Merge Users" list until it has a role in the current journal.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Thanks

Postby koantum » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:17 pm

Thanks, asmecher, that's it!
koantum

Postby yqg » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:33 am

This user still exists, but doesn't have a role in the current journal. To find the account, use the Journal Manager's Users interface to give the user a role:
  • Choose a role under Journal Management (e.g. Reviewer)
  • Click "Enroll Existing User" at the bottom
  • Find the account and click "Enroll" on the right-hand side.

If you want to remove the account, you can now use the "Merge Users" tool to transfer all their assets to another account, effectively deleting it without deleting any submissions, reviews, etc. associated with it. The account won't show up in the "Merge Users" list until it has a role in the current journal.

It works, until I get to the "Merge Users" list at which point I can't find the account.
yqg

Postby asmecher » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:14 am

Hi Nicole,

If you can't see an account under "Merge Users", it's probably because that user doesn't have any roles within the current journal. Make sure both accounts (i.e. the one you want to delete, and the one you want to transfer their assets to) have a role in the current journal by following the bulleted steps.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Re: Cannot add user: user with this email already exists

Postby matsys » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:38 am

I also want to delete a user. I have enrolled the user as a part of a group but when I click on "Merge Users" I get a completely blank page with no error message or anything. I am logged in as the conference manager in OSC.
matsys

Re: Cannot add user: user with this email already exists

Postby smiri » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:09 am

Hi there,

A blank page in php means there's an error. The error will show up in your apache error logs. however, if you do not have access to your error logs, you can add the following line to the top of your index.php file on the line right after the <?php

ini_set('display_errors', E_ALL);

That should show you what the problem is.

Regards,
smiri

Return to OJS Technical Support