OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Permissions problem

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Permissions problem

Postby Inna » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:01 am

Hi,

We are having permissions problems after moving our OJS to new server. I believe that tomcat is running as root (not sure how to check it). All OJS data files have permissions like:
drwxr-xr-x 2 ojsuser ojsgrp <file.name>
When somebody tries to upload new file Permission denied happens.
chown –R 777 on data directories helps. But, I suspect that solution is not the best idea.
It would be great if somebody can advice the better way of fixing the problem.
Thank you,
Inna
Inna

Postby asmecher » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:46 am

Hi Inna,

Tomcat may be running as root, but it should be setting its user ID to something else when it comes to file permissions. Find out what that account is, and chown -R your files path to the same user.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby Inna » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:14 pm

Thank you, Alec.
Do you have an idea how to find out that ID? I am sorry if question is too naive, I have very little experience with Linux administration.
Thank you,
Inna
Inna

Postby asmecher » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:00 pm

Hi Inna,

This is probably a question better asked on a Tomcat mailing list; I don't have much recent experience with Tomcat, but as I recall, it's necessary to run Tomcat as root on a Linux machine if you want it to use the standard web server port (80). Within the Java world, this is not as unsafe as it could be because the JVM has a strong security model, although personally I'd be much more comfortable running Tomcat as a non-root user on a higher port and proxying it from port 80.

However, as soon as you step outside of that security model and start running PHP applications, I'm not sure how the JVM security model applies. You may find that you're running your PHP applications as root, which is a very bad idea. However, I'd imagine this problem is addressed somehow in the connector, which is why I'd suggest asking on a Tomcat or PHP SAPI mailing list.

I'm sorry if that's a more complicated answer than you expected!

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby Inna » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:08 pm

Thank you for your help. I will try posting to different forum.
Inna
Inna

Return to OJS Technical Support