OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

unable to view galley proofs

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

unable to view galley proofs

Postby nicollb » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:04 pm

ojs 2.1.1, php 5.1, mysql 5

When I try to preview a galley (view proof), I get the Submission window on the screen instead of the galley proof. Very strange.

Screenshoot is here:

http://lear.lib.auburn.edu/viewproof.jpg
nicollb

Postby nicollb » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:47 am

A bit more information:

I turned on the debug for the database, and opened the gallery directly (using the url in the frame for the view proof: http://www.lib.auburn.edu/pubs/ojs/inde ... le/153/198 )
The gallery shows up after all of the debugging info, albeit with the images not being found.

I notice that when I open the above url without the debugging turned on, the url changes automatically to the one for the summary page ( ...s/ojs/index.php/bitsandpcs/editor/submission/153) rather like a redirect.

Just sign me "quietly going nuts here"
nicollb

Postby nicollb » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:14 am

One more clue:

I checked the html_galley field in the article_galleys table - despite the fact that the galleys are labelled as HTML.

All of my older issues have this field set to "1" and the galley's display for them.

Is there some sort of setting that I missed in the setup?
nicollb

Postby asmecher » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:04 am

Hi nicollb,

Just to clarify -- you're uploading HTML galleys but OJS isn't properly detecting that they're HTML (e.g. article_galleys has a value of "0" in the html_galley column)?

If that's the case, it's because PHP's mime_content_type function isn't returning "text/html" when checking over your HTML content. This could be for a number of reasons:You might need to create a test script to debug your magic.mime file; I know users have sometimes had trouble with HTML documents containing comments or descriptors before the opening <html> tag. In the meantime, you can set the html_galley column to 1 manually.

I don't know if this addresses everything in the above posts, but start with that and describe your situation here when you're finished.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby nicollb » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:41 pm

Alec:

I've found the pattern, and the problem, I think.

We do something that probably is kosher with OJS: the html galley's are not full html docs - they are just the html marked up text, etc - When my counterpart uploads the files for me to get ready to publish, she usually does a full html document, and loads it to to the "Layout" - I then upload the stripped down version and use that as the galley. We had some problems with the current issue, and a part of this got a bit out of kilter.

So - the decision about whether a file is html must come at a point earlier than my final html upload. (I did some checking with the php that you pointed to, and the filename extension doesn't trigger the text/html - it has to have the <html> etc in the file itself to get that response).

I suppose, my further question is more philosophical: if the html gally is displayed inside another html doc for presentation, why do I need an entire, complete doc for the galley? That breaks some rules for display doesn't it? Or at least clean html, I would think. Maybe I'm all wet on this... or is it done this way for sites that use reading tools and iframes?
nicollb

Postby asmecher » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:06 pm

Hi nicollb,

Unfortunately the solution is currently less than elegant: OJS needs HTML to be detected as such, and for that to happen, <html> tags need to be included (depending on your particular magic.mime file). However, OJS then takes that HTML and includes it in an existing set of tags. This has been earmarked for some attention ever since OJS 2.0 was released but hasn't yet been dealt with.

The good news is that no web browser or indexing agent (e.g. search engine) has ever had trouble dealing with this situation.

We'll be adding a number of new options for galleys, mostly centered around XML to reduce the manual labour involved in producing HTML output, but the underlying problem with HTML galleys will also be addressed at some point.

If you're a stickler for XHTML validity (and we generally are too), you can either:
  • Upload your HTML snippet galley and manually set it to HTML in the database
  • Adjust your magic.mime file so that it recognizes your snippets as HTML
The second of these options is probably the best solution on an ongoing basis.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support