OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

More (same) install errors

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

More (same) install errors

Postby wilsonrogert » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:03 pm

I have exactly the same initial install problems (word for word) as "gunkel" reported here and "coke" reported here.
I understand from previous responses that ultimately these error msgs are not fatal and supposedly don't prevent proceeding with the install. Problem is that I get a blank screen when calling the "index.php" file in my browser, so I am unable to proceed with the install. Additionally, nothing occurs (error msg 500) when I do a command line access of "tools/install.php" file through my ftp app.
Just to confirm, is one remedy to add the "@" symbol before lines 33 & 38 in the "index.php" file which is accessed and presumably causing the error OR to the "/classes/core/Registry.inc.php" file that is referenced in the error msg?

php = 4.4.1 with XML support
server software = apache 1.3
OS = FreeBSD

thnx
wilsonrogert

Postby asmecher » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:51 am

Hi wilsonrogert,

The Registry error messages are harmless (and are actually caused by a buggy PHP configuration), but suppressing these error messages will often cause you not to see other and more serious problems. Do you have access to the server log files? If so, configure PHP to redirect error messages to these and check them to see what appears.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Short term fix

Postby wilsonrogert » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:32 am

Will have to see what I can do about the server logs. I'm a bit of a beginner --not a complete neophyte--on this end of things, so there will be much learning along the way. That being said, I chose to uninstall ojs-2.1.1 and install ojs-1.1.10 to see if I could get that to work. That did!! So I am somewhat heartened. I had uploaded 2.1.1 in binary mode rather than ascii, but did 1.1.10 using ascii (not that that was necessarily the problem). I'm going to see if I can possibly patch my way up to 2.1.1. If not, then I'll try another 2.1.1 upload in ascii mode this time.
wilsonrogert

Postby asmecher » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:26 pm

Hi wilsonrogert,

I'd strongly suggest going back to OJS 2.1.1 rather than getting started in 1.1.10; I'd be happy to help you with this if you get stumped.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
---
asmecher

different approach

Postby wilsonrogert » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:09 pm

Asmecher,
I was able to get v.1.1.10 up and running and at least had some sense of what it looked like inside.

I've kept v.1.1.10 as a test "play thing". I took your advice about v.2, but rather than struggle with v2.1.1 which gave me no success previously, I chose to go with v2.0 to see if I could get that running and then patch up to v2.1.1. The install was so-so (numerous errors at the top of the screen but the bottom half indicated a follow through on the install) up to the point of the first logon after the installation. Then I received a screen full of error msgs and no access. In short, I got nowhere.

I subsequently downloaded the patch "2.0_to_2.1.1" thinking that it might overcome some of the issues. That was uploaded to my server, but I have no effective way of executing the command line instructions to the patch file:

$ patch -p1 < ojs-2.0_to_2.1.1.patch

My ftp app (ws_ftp) supposedly has command line ability, but the server won't have any of it... doesn't recognize the command. And my server host does not support telnet or SSH for security reasons. I could put in a work ticket requesting they do so for me.

So, I'm all ears/eyes if you folks have any suggestions. V1.1.10 is looking pretty good right now after a couple of days filled with error msgs from v2.0 and v2.1.1. ;-)
wilsonrogert

Postby asmecher » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:16 am

Hi wilsonrogert,

I'd suggest starting from scratch and uploading the OJS 2.1.1 archive again. Installing OJS 2.0 and patching to 2.1.1 will require SSH or equivalent access (i.e. you can't patch via FTP) and you'll end up with the same thing anyway. If you get stumped at the point where you were before, feel free to email me some specific information (please do not post here) and I'll investigate.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
---
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support