OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Outgoing e-mails as "anonymous@[ISP server]" -- ??

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Outgoing e-mails as "anonymous@[ISP server]" -- ??

Postby Sherman » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:11 pm

A few reviewers have noted (and I have confirmed) that outgoing messages recently have been coming from the e-mail address anonymous@[ISP server]. Is there a setting that may have flipped for that, or something I could reset so all e-mail from me?

:?:
Sherman

Postby asmecher » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:21 am

Hi Sherman,

Try using the envelope sender option in OJS's config.inc.php. Once enabled, you should be able to set the sender with an option on page 1 of journal settings. If it doesn't work, you might need to check that the web server's user is "trusted" according to your mail server's configuration.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby Sherman » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:13 am

Thanks for the response!
asmecher wrote:Once [envelope sender is] enabled, you should be able to set the sender with an option on page 1 of journal settings.

You mean page 1 of the Journal Setup? I don't see it.
Sherman

Postby asmecher » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:45 am

Hi Sherman,

This option will only appear once the option is enabled in config.inc.php.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Sherman » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:28 am

asmecher wrote:This option will only appear once the option is enabled in config.inc.php.

Here's the relevant section in my config.inc.php right now:

Code: Select all
[email]

; Use SMTP for sending mail instead of mail()
; smtp = On

; SMTP server settings
; smtp_server = mail.example.com
; smtp_port = 25

; Enable SMTP authentication
; Supported mechanisms: PLAIN, LOGIN, CRAM-MD5, and DIGEST-MD5
; smtp_auth = PLAIN
; smtp_username = username
; smtp_password = password

; Allow envelope sender to be specified
; (may not be possible with some server configurations)
allow_envelope_sender = On

; Enable attachments in the various "Send Email" pages.
; (Disabling here will not disable attachments on features that
; require them, e.g. attachment-based reviews)
enable_attachments = On

I thought that the allow_envelope_sender = On line would enable the option. Any other ideas?

:?
Sherman

Postby asmecher » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:37 am

Hi Sherman,

The option should appear under the Journal Manager's setup page 1, under 1.4 Email Identification, in the "Bounce Address" field.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Sherman » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:46 am

asmecher wrote:The option should appear under the Journal Manager's setup page 1, under 1.4 Email Identification, in the "Bounce Address" field.

And it does, with epaa-editor@epaa.info as the bounce address. So why does "anonymous@[ISP]" appear in some e-mails?

:?
Sherman

Postby asmecher » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:30 am

Hi Sherman,

Which emails are going out with the wrong address? If it's automated reminders (e.g. launched from a Cron job), this has been corrected in CVS. Otherwise you might want to check if your ISP is allowing OJS to set the envelope sender.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Sherman » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:09 pm

asmecher wrote:Which emails are going out with the wrong address? If it's automated reminders (e.g. launched from a Cron job), this has been corrected in CVS. Otherwise you might want to check if your ISP is allowing OJS to set the envelope sender.

I can't tell -- sometimes it's direct sends (e.g., to reviewers or authors), but sometimes it's automated reminders. I can't figure out any pattern to it.

For e-mails to authors, I can send a copy to myself and then resend from my editorial address as a workaround, but unless I'm mistaken, the initial review requests and automated reminders don't have a "send me a copy" option. :(
Sherman

Postby asmecher » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:44 am

Hi Sherman,

The reviewer request emails don't have the options to change or add email addresses because we're concerned that Editors or Section Editors might intercept reviewer access information and interfere in the review process.

Are you using SMTP mail? If not, try configuring and using it in your config.inc.php. Otherwise, please see if you can narrow down the situations in which the mail originates from the anonymous account.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby Sherman » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:04 pm

asmecher wrote:Are you using SMTP mail? If not, try configuring and using it in your config.inc.php.

Let me check my understanding: I should see if my ISP can establish SMTP mail from a software package on the site and then check config.inc.php to do that. Is the config.inc.php obvious in that regard?
Sherman

Postby asmecher » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:13 pm

Hi Sherman,

Yes; all you should have to do is find out your host's SMTP server name and enter it in config.inc.php (which should have a commented-out SMTP section you can use as a sample). Some ISPs will also require authentication for SMTP mail, which you can also configure in config.inc.php.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support