OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Login problem

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Login problem

Postby Somebody » Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:35 pm

After installation, when I try to login, nothing happens.
The login returns to the login page.

The links to the various parts of the site return me to the login.php. (Home, Articals, Register, Forgot Password, etc.)

I renamed the login.php to login_bak.php, and was able to reach the index.php. Search, contact, and a few other links worked. (No information availiable of course.)

If I clicked on register or forgot password, I would get a "page not found" error.

The database table has my username and encryped password.

I'm not that familiar with php coding as you can probably tell.

I have tried many open source programs and this one is the closest to what I'm looking for.
Would like to keep it!

Thanks,
Jerry
Somebody

Postby kevin » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:11 pm

Hard to tell without knowing more about your configuration, but it sounds like an issue with the session cookie not being set or session data not being saved correctly.

You can check that you browser has a OJSSID cookie set and that this value and your IP match a row in the tblsessions database table.

If you could post the URL to your site (or email to ojs at pkp.ubc.ca) I can take a peek and might have some other ideas.
kevin

Login problem

Postby Somebody » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:12 pm

Thanks Kevin
I will be able to add more information about this browser after I do a browser check.

This is a webtv browser, (computer is down) unfortunatly I can't upgrade at all. It is antiquated!

The url is: http://gsmnp.us/ojs/login.php

I have uninstalled the program and dropped the database, then reinstalled it again. Everything seems to have installed correctly both times. (No errors anyway)

brb with more information.

Jerry
Somebody

Login problem

Postby Somebody » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:41 pm

Apache/1.3.29 (UNIX)
PHP version: 4.3.3
mySQL version: 4.0.15-standard

mySQL.allow_persistent = on
mySQL.max_persistent = unlimited
mySQL.max_links = unlimited

(I have tried both settings during the setup and currently persistent is off.)

Browser:
Mozilla/4.0 WebTV build 2.6 (compatable; MSIE 4.0)

Thanks again,
Jerry
Somebody

Postby kevin » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:15 pm

Have you tried a browser other than WebTV? I had no problem registering and logging into your site with a more recent browser. A google search shows quite a few problem reports with WebTV's cookie handling so I suspect the problem is related to that.
kevin

Login problem

Postby Somebody » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:10 pm

I was afraid you might say that.

No I haven't tried a different browser yet. The WebTV browser has many limitations, including a real bad java bug.

I have tried the links in your demo with pretty much the same results. I was able to click the lost password link and load the correct form however.

I will keep the current install of this program for when my computer is repaired.

At least I know now where the problem originates.
Thank you for the quick response and the time you've spent addressing this issue.

Best regards,
Jerry
Somebody

another login question

Postby kris » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:19 am

Another login question:

There are times when I go to login as account administrator where it won't allow me to login...it just sends me back to the login panel. I have to request a new password which is always: gî‹z²§" and then rename my password. I also registered a user account to try and practice some article submissions and am having the same problem as a user. I had to send away for a new password again and again received this one: gî‹z²§" It will not let me change my password though now that I've been able to login under that account. :?:

kris
kris

Postby kevin » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:06 pm

That problem could occur if you reran the installer without observing these instructions regarding the "Password salt" value:

This is a random value used to encrypt user passwords. You should not need to modify this value. However, if you are using this form to modify an existing OJS installation, you must enter the same value for your current password salt here or any existing users will be unable to log in after you submit this form.

This can be fixed quite easily using a few queries on the database (though you will have to reset each user's password).

Use
Code: Select all
SELECT chPasswordSalt FROM tbljournalconfig;

To get the current value of the password salt.

Then, for each user you can run a query like this to reset the user's password.
Code: Select all
UPDATE tblusers SET chPassword = ENCODE('YOUR PASSWORD', 'YOUR PASSWORD SALT') WHERE chUsername = 'YOUR USERNAME';
kevin

Postby kris » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:34 pm

Aha! Now I understand that! Thanks for the clarification!

kris
kris

Re: Login problem

Postby dionphp » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:14 am

I have a similar problem. I can do a password reset. I do receive a new password from OJS. Then OJS forces you to change the passwrod that was just emailed. I then do so. I can't login immediately, it returns me to the login screen again and again. However, if I leave the browser window with OJS running open after trying to login with the changed password that is after about 5 then I am able toi access all menus as admin without having to login again. This is peculiar, any suggestions will be appreciated.
dionphp

Re: Login problem

Postby asmecher » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:07 am

Hi dionphp,

You've just re-opened a thread from 2004 -- but there are lots of newer threads about login problems in the forum with good suggestions. Could you try some of those, then open a new thread letting us know what you've tried so that we can help debug?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion