OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Installation Problems

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Installation Problems

Postby gunkel » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:56 pm

I am encountering an installation problem that has been reported on this forum in a number of circumstances. Like sourena (post on 19 Aug 2006), I am hosting with ipowerweb.com And the version of PHP currently installed on the sever is 4.4.1.

Here's the error message that is displayed in the browser (you've probably seen it before):

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/zizekstu/public_html/ijzs/classes/core/Registry.inc.php on line 38

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/zizekstu/public_html/ijzs/classes/core/Registry.inc.php on line 38

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/zizekstu/public_html/ijzs/classes/core/Registry.inc.php:38) in /home/zizekstu/public_html/ijzs/classes/core/Request.inc.php on line 33

According to posts on this forum, these errors will not impede OJS from functioning properly and should simply be disabled. I have tried adding the suggested line in index.php:

ini_set('display_errors', E_ALL ^ E_NOTICE);

This did not work. So I then tried to use the error_reporting() function in the same file. Same results.

And here's the really crazy part of this all. I have another account with ipowerweb.com and OJS installed on it without any problems. Granted this account is on another server running PHP 4.4.2. But I've run phpinfo() on both accounts and the configurations look to be identical.

So I really am at a loss as to what to do at this point. Can anyone help?
gunkel

Postby gunkel » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:03 pm

Alec,
Thanks so much for your quick reply. Unfortunately, I've already tried to add an "@" before the line in question. And I get a Parse Error, specifically the following:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_RETURN in /home/zizekstu/public_html/ijzs/classes/core/Registry.inc.php on line 38

And as you can guess, line 38 is the line to which I added the "@"

This is really putting my php knowledge to the test. And I am clearly not succeeding.

Any thoughts?
David.
gunkel

Postby asmecher » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:04 pm

Hi David,

Strange; off the top of my head, this could be caused by the Zend optimizer. If installed and running, it sometimes erroneously optimizes references. Try adding a "@" character at the beginning of the indicated line numbers; this will generally suppress error messages.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support