OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Using OMP as editorial management software

For discussion of ideas, functional requirements, interests regarding the Open Monograph Press.

Moderators: jmacgreg, John

Forum rules
Please feel free to post any questions or start any discussion about OMP here. We'll let you know via this forum when OMP is ready to download and test. You may also want to keep an eye on our OMP page.

Using OMP as editorial management software

Postby smoore » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:33 am

Hi all,

I've recently installed OMP as I'm keen to use it for the editorial process of our OA press, but not as the main webpage of our publishing house itself. We already have a list of titles on our own website and so we do not require any of the public facing 'catalogue' functions of OMP. As such, we want to use OMP simply as a submission system and editorial process manager. All of our titles will remain on our own website and we will simply link through to the submission system itself. So, my question is: can anyone foresee any problems with this approach? (For example, I can't see an easy way to link the 'catalogue' tab to our own catalogue website.) If anyone has experience in using OMP in this way I'd love to hear it.

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Sam
smoore

Re: Using OMP as editorial management software

Postby asmecher » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:48 am

Hi Sam,

That should work just fine -- you'll just have to hide a few links (e.g. Catalog) to avoid confusing your authors.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby smoore » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:10 am

Hi Alec,

Thanks for the response - most appreciated. It's not immediately obvious how to hide the catalog link but I'm sure I can work it out.

All the best,

Sam
smoore

Postby asmecher » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:31 am

Hi Sam,

See e.g. the occurrences of:
Code: Select all
<a href="{url page="catalog"}">{translate key="navigation.catalog"}</a>
...in templates/header/localnav.tpl.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby jpowell » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:48 pm

We are also exploring using OMP strictly for submissions and editorial workflow. We are currently using OJS that we adapted for those purposes. It works very well but we are attracted to OMP for its ability to deal with all kinds of different files and for its more flexible nature. I am wondering how OMP has worked out for you Sam and for anyone else who might be using it in this manner.
Thanks,
Judy
jpowell

Postby jpowell » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:02 am

Hi. We are about to start use of OMP for submission and editorial workflow but not for publishing or catalogue functions. We were able to link the catalog tab to our already existing catalogue website but we can't seem to hide the catalogue search box. The fix described earlier in this thread doesn't do it I'm told. If we can't hide it, is there a way I wonder to make that too link to our existing catalogue or a way at least to change the wording to give other direction to viewers?
Thanks,
Judy
jpowell

Postby asmecher » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:58 pm

Hi Judy,

To remove the search box, you can either do it via CSS (using e.g. visibility: hidden) or by editing the template itself. The relevant template file is templates/header/search.tpl.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby jpowell » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:22 am

Thanks Alec, that fixed it.
jpowell

Return to OMP Discussion