OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

How to specify the order of the submissions

Are you responsible for making OMP work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OMP:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OMP Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OMP Development subforum.

How to specify the order of the submissions

Postby UBWolf » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:31 am

Hi there,

I hope you can help me with a problem with submissions. As far as we can see the oldest one is always shown first, but we want the newest one to be shown as first item. We know there is a way to change the order by featuring the items, but we would like to have an automatic solution (because it would be easier but also because we are not sure we want to keep the catalog caroussel). Is there a way to change the order? Or is something like this in development?

Thank you!

Kind regards
Daniela
UBWolf

Re: How to specify the order of the submissions

Postby asmecher » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:11 am

Hi Daniela,

In which listing do you want to change the order?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby UBWolf » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:54 pm

Hi Alec,

thank you for your reply :) It's the listing I get when I click on "Catalog Management" and "Homepage".

Regards
Daniela
UBWolf

Postby asmecher » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:58 am

Hi Daniela,

The ordering scheme for those submissions is a little bit complicated:
  • For featured monographs (the ones with the asterisk checked) it's possible to organize these however you'd like, using drag and drop on the "Manage Catalog" page.
  • For non-featured monographs, the ordering is by publication date.
In order to change this behavior, you can try tinkering with classes/monograph/PublishedMonographDAO.inc.php in the "getByPressId" function.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby UBWolf » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:59 am

Hi Alec,

thank you for your answer! But is it possible to make these changes in the next version of OMP? I think it might benefit all the participants.
We've many files from our retro-digitisation which shouldn't be seen as first items. So it would be nice to have some more distinguished way to order the itemds.

Regards
Daniela
UBWolf

Postby asmecher » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:29 am

Hi Daniela,

I suspect the way you're getting back issue content into the system is leaving it with an incorrect publication date. Can you check your database to see what the values of date_published are for entries in the published_submissions table?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby UBWolf » Thu May 08, 2014 4:21 am

Hi Alec,

I'm sorry for my late reply, but I was on vacation for a few days. Thank you for your constantz help! I think the publication date is correct but the problem is that some of our books are old ones which were digitized. So it can happen that a book which is a hundred years old seems to be just published. So it would be better to have some more order possibilities (like a special field "publication year") or to have the ability to change the order manually without featuring the items.

Kind regards
Daniela
UBWolf

Postby JasonNugent » Thu May 08, 2014 6:09 am

Hi everyone,

I'd just want to mention something that I thought of. Depending on how complete your ONIX metadata is (the form for the publication format in the catalog entry modal), it is possible to configure a set of publication dates associated with each publication format. ONIX can be pretty thorough, and includes things like 'date first available', or 'embargo date', and so on. These dates are independent of anything set by OMP when publications are actually marked as published during the submission process. Right now, we don't offer this, but it might be possible to have a press setting that allowed editors to use ONIX dates for sorting if they are available, and then fall back to regular publication dates if they are not.

This would add a bit of complexity to the SQL for retrieving monographs, and may cause confusion if someone isn't aware of how much ONIX data has been entered for a publication format, so I'm cautious about implementing this, but figured I'd put it out there.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby UBWolf » Mon May 12, 2014 2:39 am

Hi Jason,

yes, that sounds very good. It would be great if that could be implemented in any way :)

Regards
Daniela
UBWolf

Return to OMP Technical Support