OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

How to link out to a Print-on-Demand Service?

For discussion of ideas, functional requirements, interests regarding the Open Monograph Press.

Moderators: jmacgreg, John

Forum rules
Please feel free to post any questions or start any discussion about OMP here. We'll let you know via this forum when OMP is ready to download and test. You may also want to keep an eye on our OMP page.

How to link out to a Print-on-Demand Service?

Postby GidgetDigit » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:07 am

I really have tried for a long time to understand how this could work, as it seems like it should be relatively simple, but I can't figure it out, and would really appreciate some guidance.

We would like people to be able to download digital formats (.pdf & .epub & .mobi) directly from the site, but would like the paperback format TO HAVE A TAB at top of the catalog entry (like 'synopsis' and 'download') and also in the dropdown side menus, yet we do not have proofs or files on that tab for download, instead we'd like to have a little bit of text about our print co-publisher, and then a link to their 'createspace' page so that people can leave our site to go there and purchase. Not sure why this is so difficult, but it really is.

Any help would be MOST appreciated. Our site is at http://press.radicalcriminology.org
GidgetDigit

Re: How to link out to a Print-on-Demand Service?

Postby GidgetDigit » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:41 pm

Further: It seems that one cannot "go back" on a choice to make it open access at the catalog level... so that there doesn't seem to be a way to change the "paperback" availability back to "direct sales" and get it going out to the POD supplier or agent or however that is supposed to work... I can only find there now "download from press website" ... which is fine for the EPUB and PDF but this is a disaster if people cannot find how to order a paperback. I tried taking it out of the catalog and putting it back in, but the option to choose between open access and direct sales still doesn't appear.
Even a simple html link, or a way that I could hack the template at this point so that hitting the paperback tab would forward you on to the 'createspace' print on demand order page? Unfortunately we've moved forward with the announcement without this feature in place, so I'm feeling like perhaps we should stop using OMP until I understand it better, it is feature rich and might be helpful with editorial workflow down the road, but right now, we just need a simple, straightforward publishing tool... even a basic HTML page would be able to feature the cover image of the book, and link to the files to download, and the link to go order it.
GidgetDigit

Re: How to link out to a Print-on-Demand Service?

Postby asmecher » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:36 pm

Hi GidgetDigit,

Can you mark up a couple of quick screenshots that would show the additions to the current interface that you'd like to see? It need be nothing beautiful, but with that I can make some specific suggestions for how to proceed with the template modifications (and spec out a more general feature to hit this requirement).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OMP Discussion