You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

REQ: support for favicon.ico

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
The Public Knowledge Project Support Forum is moving to http://forum.pkp.sfu.ca

This forum will be maintained permanently as an archived historical resource, but all new questions should be added to the new forum. Questions will no longer be monitored on this old forum after March 30, 2015.

REQ: support for favicon.ico

Postby smitech » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:51 am

Support for faviconswould be useful. Added locally in common/header.tpl:

Code: Select all
   {* SMITech - favicon support *}
   <link rel="shortcut icon" href="{$baseUrl}/favicon.ico"

type="image/x-icon" />
        <link rel="icon" href="{$baseUrl}/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

Re: REQ: support for favicon.ico

Postby mj » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:12 pm

Hi rm,

Just a comment on this, favicon support is strongly a browser-specifc issue. For example, Firefox (and presumably most Mozilla-based browsers) will automatically ask for favicon.ico from all sites and display it if it exists. However, this results in a large number of webserver log notices when a favicon file doesn't exist -- I have dealt with this on a number of Apache-served sites in the past.

My question about explicitly pointing to a favicon.ico (which may or may not actually exist) in the HTML meta tags. Does this simply serve as a cue to browsers to look for a favicon.ico file in the event that they don't do so by default? Although I can't see any reason why not to include it, I'm simply trying to understand what additional benefit it provides.

Thanks greatly for your additional feature requests -- we will most definitely conisder and file them as best we can!

MJ Suhonos
Open Journal Systems
Development Team
Site Admin

Postby smitech » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:45 am

Hello MJ,

I don't really know, and unfortunately I don't have the facilities in my current environment to check this out in a straight forward way. Plus, this stuff seems to be a moving target. The semantics of these statements are basically "if you're looking for the favicon, here is where to find it." I am reasonably sure that FF and MIE will attempt to get it in its "usual place" no matter what, so I don't think there is a penalty for using these in the heads. Also, clogging the logs notwithstanding, favicons are inconsequentially small and cached on the client side.

BTW, I didn't make this explicit but my flurry of REQs are just a dump of the notes I took while evaluating the system. Some of these things are low or no priority as far as I'm concerned - I'm just dumping what I found FYI.

Return to OJS Development