You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

REQ: substitutions for host executables

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
The Public Knowledge Project Support Forum is moving to http://forum.pkp.sfu.ca

This forum will be maintained permanently as an archived historical resource, but all new questions should be added to the new forum. Questions will no longer be monitored on this old forum after March 30, 2015.

REQ: substitutions for host executables

Postby smitech » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:49 am

Any modifications that would improve functioning of the system when hosted
on a shared host facility (i.e., in a _AMP environment) where nothing can be
executed on the host other than php would be most appreciated. The thoughts (posted elsewhere) about a web based facility to provide the indexing helper functions sounds good. Another possibility would be to decouple indexing from the galley loading operation such that externally generated indexdable text files could be uplaoded.

Postby asmecher » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:26 pm

Hi rm,

An outside contributor modified OJS to allow editors and layout managers to upload a text file for use in indexing. If you'd like, contact me personally with your email address and I'll pass it along. I haven't tested it and it will probably require a little bit of fine-tuning (i.e. schema changes) but it looks good.

Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada

Postby smitech » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:07 pm

A half-baked idea (probably already considered) on an implementation of the helper programs for indexing ...

A cursory look at the sources for pdftotext suggests that a php implementation would be possible. Don't know if you could depend on required libs being available on all shared hosts that would require such an implementation.

Return to OJS Development