OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Abstract/Submission Scoring

The Plugin Gallery is a venue for users of PKP software to share their plugins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
If you post a plugin here, please include information on which versions of which applications it is compatible with. Attach a tarball of the plugin (e.g. tar cvzf myPlugin-0.1.tar.gz plugins/generic/myPlugin). Thanks for contributing!

Abstract/Submission Scoring

Postby dsully » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:23 am

Is there a way to store the selection from radio buttons for say scores from 1-6 that way a director can sort all submissions by score in order to view/accept all submission with a score of 5 or 6 for example? I've used the software to add radio buttons for these scores 1-6, but am wondering where they are stored in the database, if at all, and how they could be included in the presentations page as mentioned.

Thanks for the help
David
dsully

Re: Abstract/Submission Scoring

Postby asmecher » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:49 am

Hi David,

Would these ratings be coming from reviewers or directors?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby dsully » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:53 am

I am thinking reviewers. Instead of simply sending feedback, I want reviewers to be able to select a numerical score according to some provided guidelines. A submission reviewed by multiple people should then average the scores and use that as its assigned score by which the director can sort his highest rated submissions to more easily determine which submissions are acceptable for the conference.

Thanks,
David
dsully

Postby asmecher » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:04 pm

Hi David,

To alter the reviewer recommendation options, see e.g. this thread. It's pretty old but still relevant.

To bring an average into the track director's interface, you'll have to do some fancy MySQL footwork. There is some related discussion here.

Note that both of these posts are OJS-related; to adapt to OCS is usually just a matter of changing terminology: Sections in OJS are Tracks in OCS; likewise Editors are Directors, Articles are Papers, etc.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby dsully » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:28 am

I would like to change the reviewer recommendation to a numerical scoring of 1 - 6 in such a way that the abstracts/submissions could then be sorted by their scored in order for directors to better and more quickly analyze them. I've played around in ReviewAssignment.inc.php, changing the .ACCEPT variable to .6, but I could never find where the variable name that is actually displayed on the review page is defined. I also don't know if these recommendations would be stored properly to do what I'm asking.

If anyone could help me with this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
David
dsully

Postby asmecher » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:12 pm

Hi David,

As per http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=792, see the getReviewerRecommendationOptions function.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby dsully » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:20 am

Alec,

I have played around with this a lot, but I can't find where it actually stores the drop down display names for the reviewer recommendation. I've redefined them, searched for where they are called on again to display in that page, and added new items in that drop down, but none of this worked. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
David
dsully

Postby asmecher » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:41 am

Hi David,

Are you looking for where option locale keys (like 'reviewer.article.decision.accept') are mapped into English language strings (like "Accept Decision")? This is in the locale files, e.g. locale/en_US/locale.xml for English.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby dsully » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:34 am

Alec,

That is one solution, yes. I was referring to that, though I'd rather pursue another solution, which is the following. I've created a review form which contains radio buttons for the possible scores our client allows and used the review guideline section as the instructions on selecting one of those scores. I would like to be able to access these scores on other pages in order to, for example, sort all submissions by score. Another goal is to allow free submission by any privileged 'author' user and only send those that have received above a certain score to the director for decision. My goal is to take some of the load off the client's directors for conferences with hundreds or thousands of submissions.

I have seen where the response to the review form is saved in the execute() function of ReviewFormResponseForm.inc.php and that the track director then views the response in the viewReviewFormResponse() function of the file TrackDirectorAction.inc.php, I am just hoping to add this scoring feature to the software more permanently, as I would like to customize numerous sites for numerous clients that can implement this option, even if OCS is updated.

I know this is a lot to ask and I genuinely appreciate all of the help. I look forward to hearing back from you or anyone else in the forum about this feature.

Thanks,
David
dsully

Postby asmecher » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:54 pm

Hi David,

This won't be trivial; the review forms are not designed to have any meaning to OCS, so you'll need some way of telling OCS that a certain question on the form has meaning beyond just a name and value. This could be a symbolic label in a new field (e.g. call it "SCORE" and then code to that name in PHP), for example. However, it'll take a fair amount of coding...

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to Plugin Gallery