OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Install: File Settings difficulties

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Install: File Settings difficulties

Postby Tuesday » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:37 am

I am trying to install the OJS on shared hosting - I have the mySQL database set up and have changed the file permissions for cache, config and public via ftp. However, I've run into problems with setting up a file for uploads - I'd be very grateful if you could provide any assistance with this, as I'm not quite sure what I'm getting wrong.

I have created a folder in /protected with the correct permissions, and tried with similar folders in several other places, but each time I've clicked install, I've received this error: 'The directory specified for uploaded files does not exist or is not writable.'

I think I'm probably doing one of two things wrong. One is inadequately describing the pathway – I think this should be /home/protected/reviews, but I may be messing this up. If you think that this looks implausible and could provide a clear example of what a full pathway should look like on shared hosting, that'd be very helpful.

Alternatively, it might be a problem with overarching site permissions. The indicator in the installer displays 'Your server currently allows file uploads: No'. If this is likely to refer to a wider setting that I need to change, I'd be grateful for any tips as to what this might be.

Please let me know if I can provide more information that might be helpful.
Tuesday

Re: Install: File Settings difficulties

Postby asmecher » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:47 am

Hi Tuesday,

The problem is most likely the path you're specifying. It will generally be something like /home/my_username/protected (where my_username is your hosting account's username), rather than /home/protected. The specifics will vary server to server.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Tuesday » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:16 pm

Dear Alec,

Many thanks for your response. home/projected/reviews is what displays in Filezilla when I examine the folder I've set up. I've also tried paths including the Apache site root, both with and without the 'home'; these also haven't worked. The path displayed for the OJS install itself is simply /home/public/ojs; and I've been able to reach the install page by using a browser and entering [website name]/ojs/. This would seem to indicate to me that I'm not missing a username, but I may be wrong - I'd be grateful for any thoughts.

Could you please also let me know exactly what the installer is checking when it gives the 'Your server currently allows file uploads: No' indication? Is it just looking at the path given in the box above, or does it examine other things also?

(ED: apologies for mistyping your name in the initial version of this)
Tuesday

Postby asmecher » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi Tuesday,

The only place in the OJS installation where you'll need to enter the full path to a directory is the files path that you're having trouble with. Not having trouble elsewhere isn't an indication that the username isn't missing in this case.

If you go into Site Administration and find your System Information, then at the bottom of the page click Extended PHP Information, you'll get a dump of information about your server. What do you see for _SERVER["DOCUMENT_ROOT"]?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Tuesday » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:38 pm

Dear Alec,

Not sure how to go about this, I'd afraid. I manage the current site with a combination of Filezilla and the control panels provided by my hosting service (nearlyfreespeech.net). The system information page on the latter doesn't seem to provide a means of accessing Extended PHP Information. I did discover this advice in the NFSN programming FAQ: 'We strongly recommend that you use $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] or $_SERVER['NFSN_SITE_ROOT'] whenever possible and avoid hardcoding paths in order to avoid problems in the event of a change. If you have to hardcode the path (for a third-party app not smart enough to understand variables or similar), get it from the "Apache Site Root" value under "Config Information" on your site info panel, but keep in mind the possibility that it could change someday.' The value in Apache Site Root for my site at present is /f5/bars. /f5/bars/files is what autofills in the 'Directory for uploads' box when I visit the OJS install page. Does that get us anywhere? Thanks again for your help.
Last edited by Tuesday on Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tuesday

Postby asmecher » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:42 pm

Hi Tuesday,

Sorry, my instructions were less than helpful because they presume you have an installed version of OJS, and this issue is preventing you from completing the install.

You can get the same by uploading a PHP script containing the following...
Code: Select all
<?php phpinfo(); ?>
Request it via your browser and find the suggested value there. Then remove the script.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Tuesday » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:20 pm

Dear Alec,

Thanks for this. Running that code from my site's main directory gives this: _SERVER["DOCUMENT_ROOT"] is /f5/bars/public/. Is that helpful?
Tuesday

Postby asmecher » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:23 pm

Hi Tuesday,

Yes. It looks like your home directory is /f5/bars/ -- maybe. Therefore if you've created a /protected e.g. in Filezilla, it'll likely be in /f5/bars/protected according to PHP. (This is a guess based on common server configurations.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Tuesday » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:32 pm

Dear Alec,

Many thanks for your help - have now got the install to fire - not with things in the most optimal places, but now I have full access to the interface, can move things around and get them working.
Tuesday

Return to OJS Technical Support