OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Optimal settings for this publication system

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Optimal settings for this publication system

Postby Emil » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:33 am

I did use search before starting this thread.

I recently became dissatisfied with the current journals in my field (differential psychology) and decided to look for solutions. I found this system, set it up, tested it, solved a problem (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11756), bought a domain (http://openpsych.net), and now I'm looking to improve the workflow of it before going full public with it.

The workflow I want to use is this:
http://www.gliffy.com/go/publish/image/5448964/L.png

So, everybody can submit files to publish immediately in the "submitted" section. Reviewers can approve of papers in the submitted section and if a paper is approved by a reviewer, then it is moved to the "published" section. Basically, a minimal peer review system (see here: http://futureofscipub.wordpress.com/200 ... -argument/)

Nice features for the future:
- Instead of a single reviewer approving it, make it so that a paper needs N approves from reviewers.
- Authors can be granted permission to post directly in the "published" section. For instance, after they have posted 5 papers that were accepted.

Does anyone know how best to set up the system for this?

-Emil
Emil

Re: Optimal settings for this publication system

Postby asmecher » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:45 am

Hi Emil,

Your workflow involves two aspects that aren't currently supported by OJS: 1) open reviews, in which reviewers comment openly on pre-publication versions of the document; and 2) automated publication of submitted content.

It's possible to emulate these, e.g. using the commenting system to host pre-publication open review, but not without a fair amount of clicking from the Editor.

We haven't incorporated this kind of functionality into OJS because we haven't seen a single Open Review methodology emerge and gain wide acceptance; as a result this has remained below higher priorities on our development list. However, we're keeping abreast of it and will eventually tackle it.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Emil » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:55 am

Hi,

Thanks for quick answer.

I don't see where I wanted to use open review above. You might have gotten it from the journal site? Beware that text on the site does not necessarily reflect my current opinion.

I think the most important step right now is having instant publication to the "Submitted" section. A streamlined method for moving it to "Published" would be nice, but not necessary right now.

However, we're keeping abreast of it and will eventually tackle it.

Any estimates on how long? Is it possible to speed up the process with money? Or should I try to find someone who can read the code and make a hack?

-Emil
Emil

Postby asmecher » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:15 am

Hi Emil,

I mean publishing submissions immediately in a "submissions" section, which is a component of some open review workflows.

Our current development work is focused on OJS 3.0, which will not be released for at least a good portion of the year, so your direction will depend on your own timelines. We do custom development work, particularly when it aligns with our milestones, but if you need this to launch based on OJS 2.4.x then a third-party developer might be the quickest way to hack it into place.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion