OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

German Umlauts in emails in OCS

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

German Umlauts in emails in OCS

Postby pgg » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:27 pm

Hello,

I am using OCS version 2.3.3.1 and experiencing an unwanted behaviour with German umlauts in emails being sent with the system. Those relevant characters (like äöüß) are malformed.

I checked the potential OCS updates, but none addressed this issue. I can replicate this error with the latest version (2.3.5). I also did use the search function yielding the same issue ( viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4540 ).

The proposal is from 2009 and refers to OJS, so I am not sure if the instructions there are relevant for me.

I am not afraid to actively debug this problem, but maybe you can give me some hints.

best regards,
pgg
pgg

Re: German Umlauts in emails in OCS

Postby asmecher » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:30 pm

Hi pgg,

OCS should be fully UTF-8 compliant and able to handle umlauts and other special characters. I'd suggest checking your character set configuration in config.inc.php. You should have...

client_charset = utf-8
connection-charset = utf8
database_charset = utf8
charset_normalization = Off

Also check your database to see what the table and column collations are; there are instructions here e.g. for MySQL.

If any of these are not set for UTF-8, you may need to transcode your database before things work properly. It can be tricky, unfortunately.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby pgg » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:57 am

Thank you for your answer, but the problem is not resolved. I made an experiment at my local machine with the following settings:

vanilla OCS 2.3.5, XAMPP, mail server: fake smtp 1.5

Steps being taken in OCS:
- Settings in config.inc.php as being suggested
- Create conference ("Conference with Umlauts äöüß" / "umlautconf")
- Languages: Set German and English as supported locales for both UI and forms
- Create scheduled conference ("Konferenz mit Umlauten äöüß" / "conf1") for both language versions

Now I sent several mails to my local smtp server, which collects them as *.eml files.

Creating a new reader returns the following result:
new-user.png
New User registration with Umlauts
new-user.png (46.37 KiB) Viewed 820 times

Corresponding mail content:
Subject: [conf1] New User Registration
To: user1@mail.com
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
X-Mailer: Public Knowledge Project Suite v2
X-Originating-IP: ::1
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 11:05:48 +0100

Thank you for registering as a user with Conference with Umlauts ����.
Please keep track of your username and password, which are needed for all
work with this conference.

Username: jdoe
Password: Q49GG9VM

Thank you,

As you can see, the charset is correct but its body is malformed. Entered user data is bogus and can be ignored.

Write an email to user:
write-user.png
Write an email to user with Umlauts
write-user.png (38.35 KiB) Viewed 820 times

In this case the title is valid, but the body seems to be broken. The expected message is here "Body: äöüß".

Is there something I probably missed?
pgg

Postby asmecher » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:01 am

Hi pgg,

Hmm -- can you run a quick test using another SMTP server, e.g. gmail? See http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Using_gmail_SMTP for configuration suggestions.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby pgg » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:10 pm

Hi again Alec,

thank you very much! All characters are displayed now correcly. The gmail smtp server worked liked a charm and I think our production smtp server will handle it adequately as well.

The "quick test" was bit troublesome for me, since I had to find out, that my xampp instance had no php_openssl.dll extension in its php.ini AND my gmail account is using the two-factor authentication, which made it necessary to add a application-specific login to generate a new password. Details here: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

Maybe you can add this in the wiki page.

best regards,
pgg
pgg

Postby asmecher » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:16 pm

Hi pgg,

Great, thanks for the heads-up -- I've added a note to that wiki page.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OCS Technical Support