OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Installation problem, error 1251

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Installation problem, error 1251

Postby eje4 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:03 pm

I've just downloaded the latest version of OCS and I'm trying to use it with PHP 5.2 and MySQL 5.0 on Solaris. Running the OCS installation script results in this error:

Unable to connect to database server. Error 1251: Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

Can anybody tell me what is going on here? I saw a post from someone else who was having a similar problem but I didn't quite understand what the nature of the difficulty was. If anyone has any technical advice I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Eric
eje4

Postby asmecher » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:51 pm

Hi Eric,

This is probably an incompatibility between your MySQL server and your MySQL module for PHP. Google turns up some discussion on this, such as http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?38,2511,5323.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby eje4 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:33 am

Thanks Alec. I have read the previous forum post that you pointed out to me, but I'm afraid that I still don't see how that is relevant to my problem, since I already have all the latest MySQL client programs and there is no further updating of the clients that can be done.

Also, I tried using the old-passwords option in mysqld and it still didn't work.

So I think I'm still at a loss to understand what the problem might be. One thing that did occur to me was that when I first compiled and installed PHP on my system, at that time I had MySQL 4 installed. Later we decided that we didn't want MySQL 4 but wanted MySQL 5 instead. So I removed all of MySQL 4 and did a clean installation of MySQL 5. Is it possible that PHP somehow 'remembers' the old version of MySQL and that I will need to remove and reinstall PHP in order to get this to work? I'm new to the world of PHP/MySQL so I'm still rather naive about all this stuff, and I don't really have a good intuition for how PHP and MySQL are connected. If anybody has any advice on this I'd appreciate hearing it. Thanks very much.
Eric
eje4

Postby asmecher » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:27 am

Hi Eric,

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest recompiling PHP with an eye to which libraries it's using to link to MySQL. It's possible that the old PHP 4.x shared libraries are still on your system and the PHP configure script is still finding them. Alternately, try resetting your OJS database access password as per the instructions at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/old-client.html.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Return to OCS Technical Support