OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Separating Oral and Poster submission types

Are you a Director, Presenter, Reviewer or Conference Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OCS from an everyday user's perspective: conference managers, presenters, and directors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OCS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OCS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OCS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OCS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OCS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Separating Oral and Poster submission types

Postby toygar » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:27 am

Dear All,

We have two questions. Firstly, we have created two submission types (oral and poster presentations) for our meeting. Now we have almost reached our deadline. We want to check how many oral and poster submissions are made and also we would like to know which submission is poster and which one is oral. We have found a way to check each submission one by one, however, there are many papers and this is very time consuming. So, we wonder if there is an easy way to do this?

Secondly, we need to know how to remove links on the titles of the presentations in Presentations & Authors section
(please see the link: http://web.deu.edu.tr/iesca/ocs/index.php/iesca/2012/schedConf/presentations).

Thanks in advance,
Toygar
toygar

Re: Separating Oral and Poster submission types

Postby Ala7lam » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:55 pm

Same here, I would be very interested as to how we can work with different submission types more efficiently.
Ala7lam

Postby roball » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:13 pm

Same here. The submission type should be printed in the overview lists at submissions/submissionsUnassigned, submissions/submissionsInReview, submissions/submissionsAccepted and submissions/submissionsArchives - just like the "Track" column.

In addition, the submission type is missing in the exported XML file created by the Papers XML Plugin and the CSV file created by the Papers Report. The latter does include "Track title", but not "Submission type". It is really essential to distinguish between Oral and Poster presentations. Are there any solutions yet?
roball

Postby roball » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:20 pm

May I ask, more than one year later, if there has been any progress or solution to address this problem?
roball

Postby asmecher » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:11 pm

Hi roball,

Sorry for missing your earlier post. This is a fairly minor modification, if you have PHP/SQL skills -- if so, I can recommend some starting points.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby roball » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:25 pm

Wonderful that you offer help Alec!

Yes, I do have PHP and MySQL skills, so please let me know how I can achieve this.

Thanks a lot.
roball

Postby asmecher » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:56 pm

Hi roball,

The session type should be stored in the paper_settings table, and OTOH the existing queries will fetch the data, at least for the submission lists. The function call to get the data (e.g. to add it to a submission list) is...
Code: Select all
$sessionType = $paper->getData('sessionType');
The complication is that this will give you a foreign key rather than the name of the type itself. To get the name of the type, you would use...
$paperTypeDao = DAORegistry::getDAO('PaperTypeDAO');
$sessionTypes = $paperTypeDao->getPaperTypes($schedConfId);
while ($sessionType = $sessionTypes->next()) {
    if ($sessionType->getId() == $sessionType) {
        // This is the session type we're looking for
    }
}
To make this more concrete, e.g. for adding the paper type to one of the director's lists, you would find the handling code (e.g. DirectorHandler::submissions) and provide a list of session types as a lookup to be used in the template:
$sessionTypesArray = array();
$paperTypeDao = DAORegistry::getDAO('PaperTypeDAO');
$sessionTypes = $paperTypeDao->getPaperTypes($schedConfId);
while ($sessionType = $sessionTypes->next()) {
    $sessionTypesArray[$sessionType->getId()] = $sessionType;
}
$templateMgr->assign('sessionTypes', $sessionTypesArray);
...then in the template, e.g. templates/director/submissionsInReview.tpl, add a new column...
<td>
    {assign var=sessionTypeId value=$submission->getData('sessionType')}
    {if $sessionTypeId}
        {assign var=sessionType value=$sessionTypes.$sessionTypeId}
        {$sessionType->getLocalizedName()|escape}
    {/if}
</td>
This is all OTOH, but should illustrate the concepts. The process will be similar for the report plugins.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby roball » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:54 am

Wow, thank you so much - that worked!

I was now able to get an additional column "Session Type" at director/submissions/submissionsInReview by editing pages/director/DirectorHandler.inc.php and templates/director/submissionsInReview.tpl.

The only remaining problem is what to use as the template's heading td. I currently use
<td width="10%">{sort_search key="paper.sessionType" sort="sessionType"}</td>

which is displayed as "Session Type", but when you try to click on it (to sort this column), a SQL error occurs.
roball

Postby asmecher » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:08 am

Hi roball,

Next you'll have to map the sort heading ID you've specified in the template ("sessionType") to a snippet of SQL in the database. OTOH, this will mean adding a case to DirectorSubmissionDAO.inc.php in the getSortMapping function like this:
case 'sessionType': return 'sts.setting_value';
Since we're referencing the session type directly in the SQL now (the "sts" alias, shorthand for session type setting), we'll need to add an explicit join. In every SELECT statement that gets a director submission, you'll need to add a new join:
... LEFT JOIN paper_settings sts ON (p.paper_id = sts.paper_id AND sts.setting_name = 'sessionType') ...
Once again, this is OTOH but should work with a bit of convincing.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby roball » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:07 pm

Dear Alec,

thanks again! I managed to solve the first step (adding the case 'sessionType' in classes/submission/director/DirectorSubmissionDAO.inc.php), however the second step seems a little complicated. I have no idea where (and in which files) to add those SQL statements.

Why is sessionType simply not a column of the papers table? This would allow to just add
case 'sessionType': return 'p.sessionType';
to the getSortMapping function in DirectorSubmissionDAO.inc.php.
roball

Postby asmecher » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:22 pm

Hi roball,

The short answer is "because it isn't" -- it would be tidier for the situation you're working with, but until now it hasn't been an issue. Moving it to a column of its own would involve some slightly hairy upgrade scripts, so for the moment the easiest solution is to add the additional join to the paper fetch queries. The paper_settings table is nice in that it allows extensions to the code to be added without monkeying with schema (e.g. for plugins) but it does make fetching information a little more involved.

You'd need to add the join to two functions in classes/submission/director/DirectorSubmissionDAO.inc.php: getDirectorSubmission and _getUnfilteredDirectorSubmissions. I don't think OTOH it'll be required elsewhere.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby roball » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:54 pm

Completely understood and 100% agreed.

I have added
LEFT JOIN paper_settings sts ON (p.paper_id = sts.paper_id AND sts.setting_name = "sessionType")

to the two functions you mentioned and bingo - that worked!

Finally, everything works perfectly for me. A big thank you - never could solve that without your help.

If I make patch against Git's ocs-stable-2_3 branch to add the Session Type column to all 4 director submissions lists, would you accept it for committing?
Last edited by roball on Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roball

Postby asmecher » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:56 pm

Hi roball,

Great, glad to hear it!

I would be very happy to add this to the next release. Are you comfortable with github.com? If so, a pull request there would work; alternately, a patch against a stock version of OCS 2.3.5 would be fine.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby roball » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:02 pm

Great! I am running the latest Git code from the ocs and pkp-lib ocs-stable-2_3 branches, and will thus create the patch against that code.

Should I file an issue on https://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla ?
roball

Postby asmecher » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:42 am

Hi roball,

Best would be to send a pull request directly from github.com; alternately, create an entry in Bugzilla and upload the patch file there.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Next

Return to OCS Conference Support and Discussion