OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

REQ: Integrated Bulletin Board

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Documentation: The OJS Technical Reference and the OJS API Reference are both available from the OJS Documentation page.

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome, but if you have a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a technical support question, try the OJS Technical Support subforum.

REQ: Integrated Bulletin Board

Postby soj » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:57 am

Hello Development Group! Do you have any plans of adding a forum / discussion board / BB feature to OJS? It would be really useful to have a board integrated so that folks don't have re-register in the separate application and discussion are associated with articles in one db. Something similar to the Copernicus.org setup would probably be ideal.

Thanks for all your efforts! soj
soj

Postby asmecher » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:24 am

Hi Soj,

I'm happy to say that it's already there, although admittedly a little tough to find. See Journal Setup, page 2, under "Reader Comments". Also make sure that the Reading Tools are enabled (Journal Manager -> Reading Tools) and that the "Add Comment" option is enabled. This will provide an "Add Comment" link in the Reading Tools and add a threaded list of comments to the end of an article's HTML galley or abstract page.

The CVS version of OJS includes CAPTCHA support for anonymous postings.

Not many journals are using this feature, possibly as it's not obvious, so we welcome any feedback you might have. FYI, other users have used the LDAP authentication plug-in to help authenticate against external systems.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby soj » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:50 am

Hi Alec! Thanks for your quick reply. Yes, we noticed and are actually already using the Comments Feature. Even so, it seems not to be getting much noticed. In fact, one of my users posted a Comment and then had to ask me where he could read it. The link in Reading Tools is not prominent. I could fix this with a bit of CSS probably.

I have been giving thought to the issue. Here is some feedback:

To get things started, I or one of the editors post the first comment, stating that a period of open discussion is begun and inviting readers to comment. It's something that might be automated in the future. This places the Comments links at the bottom of page. However, should the reader go straight to the PDF version, he probably won't notice Comments or know if any have been posted.

Consequently, I would like to place a link to Comments alongside the ABSTRACT | PDF | HTML links on the Issue page or somewhere in the top navigation bar. If no comments exist, I would like to see an "invitation to comment" of some kind called by the link.

Other users have asked about integrating a more familiar style of BB. I will look into the LDAP option. Any documentation about the LDAP process as it relates to OJS would be very helpful.

TIA! soj
soj

Postby soj » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:00 am

Also, some way to edit posted comments would be useful. I have corrected a spelling error in the heading of one comment from inside the DB, but the commenter should really have an option to do this himself.

soj
soj

Postby kris » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:48 am

Is there a way to change the template and move the "Comments on this article" from the bottom of the article to the sidebar so that it is visible to readers as they view the article?

kris
kris

Postby asmecher » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:11 am

Hi Kris,

Do you mean moving the reader comments to the sidebar? If so, you'll need to do a few things:
  • Move code from templates/article/article.tpl to templates/rt/rt.tpl beginning with:
    Code: Select all
    {if $comments}
    ...until the following...
    {/if}
  • Move the code to fetch the comments from classes/article/ArticleHandler.inc.php from the viewArticle function to the viewRST function. This code looks like:
                    $commentDao = &DAORegistry::getDAO('CommentDAO');
    $enableComments = $journal->getSetting('enableComments');
    if ($enableComments == COMMENTS_AUTHENTICATED || $enableComments == COMMENTS_UNAUTHENTICATED || $enableComments == COMMENTS_ANONYMOUS) {
            $comments = &$commentDao->getRootCommentsByArticleId($article->getArticleId());
    }
    ...and...
    $templateMgr->assign('comments', isset($comments)?$comments:null);
This will take a little fine-tuning, e.g. for layout. You may find that the sidebar is a little restrictive for things like comment subjects.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Posted reader's comments - control by Journal Manager?

Postby pierredv » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:02 am

Hi Alec

I would like to know how the Journal Manager can get access to posted comments without scanning each article. I am concerned that people may post inappropriate comments and misuse the site for thier own agendas.

Also what about an automated email function sending an email to the journal manager for each posted comment.

Regards

Pierre
pierredv

Postby asmecher » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:45 pm

Hi Pierre,

There's nothing currently in place for this, although I've created a Bugzilla entry with your suggestion -- see http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2481. Note that the next release will include CAPTCHA support, which will help to prevent spamming.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby pierredv » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:59 pm

Thanks Alec, I hope it will make it in a new release. Pierre
pierredv

Return to OJS Development