OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Keep Submitted PDFs, Skip peer review

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Keep Submitted PDFs, Skip peer review

Postby jessgri » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:24 am

I have searched high and low for the correct workflow for this and I just am failing out repeatedly. After 5 hours of googling and searching the forum over two days, I'm just going to ask. I keep seeing posts about the Quick Review plugin and how to skip peer review and I *think* I'm following all those steps, but somehow the submitted PDF gets stripped out of the submission every time I go to publish an article.

Here's what we need to do: about three dozen authors need to individually submit the PDFs of their conference papers. These will require no editing and no layout--they will just be published exactly as-is.

When I send a test article in, and then switch myself to Editor (I'm the site admin), I can go straight to review and schedule it. That seems to be wrong.

I've gone back to review, accepted the submission, skipped the email to the author, clicked "Send to copyediting" and then tried to schedule it. This seems to be wrong.

I've enabled the Quick Review plugin, but I can't see how to access it--does the author do something different? The editor?

I managed to get one article to publish and I don't remember how I did it. The rest of our TOC is filled with names and titles with no attached PDFs. (Fortunately, this is just a test issue.)

Do I really have to download and re-upload every single PDF to get this to work?

[edited the title so that it contains one of the terms I've been searching on, for others who might search in the future]
Last edited by jessgri on Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
jessgri

Re: Keep Submitted PDFs, no peer review

Postby asmecher » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:27 am

Hi jessgri,

A couple of quick clarifications first --
- Are you using OJS or OCS? You mention journal articles but also conference papers.
- Do you mean the Quick Submit plugin? I'm not aware of a Quick Review plugin.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Re: Keep Submitted PDFs, no peer review

Postby jessgri » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:33 am

OJS. We're publishing a journal of conference proceedings.

And sorry, I typoed the name of the plugin! Quick Submit is what I'm looking for documentation on and cannot find. It seems like it maybe will do what we want, but I'm apparently repeatedly missing wherever the documentation is located. I can only see the Quick Submit section when I go in to the Import/Export plugins as Journal Manager--I can't figure how to access it as an editor or as an author, nor can I figure out quite what it does.
jessgri

Re: Keep Submitted PDFs, Skip peer review

Postby asmecher » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:47 am

Hi jessgri,

Your suspicion is correct; the QuickSubmit plugin is only available to Journal Managers. It's intended as an alternative route to entering back-issue content, not for production use in an ongoing manner.

Unfortunately OJS is not fine-tuned for the workflow you're looking for -- it's a little uncommon for a journal to operate this way. The bad news is that there will be a few extra steps required to prep each article for publication; the good news is that you can avoid almost all of the workflow tools that you don't need. Off the top of my head, the following will be required (as Editor):
  • On the "Submission" page, "Assign Self" to assign the current user as Editor. (Depending on your journal's setup, this may happen automatically; if that's the case, a user will be listed as assigned already.)
  • On the "Review" page, record an "Accept" decision.
  • On the "Editing" page, schedule the submission against an issue.
  • On the "Editing" page, re-upload the submission file as a galley. (This is the part you were hoping to skip, I fear.)
If you have have any PHP/MySQL expertise on hand, I can describe in broad terms what would be involved in modifying the system to bypass these steps.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby jessgri » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:59 am

Hi Alec,

Thanks so much for the speedy reply. And boo that we can't do quite what we need to! I'm glad, though, that I apparently didn't miss something obvious--I was afraid the answer was going to be "Oh you just tick this box here" and all my time researching and reading would be for naught.

I am not personally very skilled in PHP/MySQL (though those skills are building every day), but I'm working hand-in-hand with the developer who handles my organizations entire web operations. If you could give that description, it would be excellent, and I can talk to him about how smart/feasible implementing them would be. We will have a whole set of journals which will operate with this kind of workflow, publishing papers from several conferences which are co-sponsored by our organization, so if there's a way to alter the software so that it works better for us, I'm going to suspect it would be highly worth our time to do.

Thanks,

Jess
jessgri

Postby asmecher » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:11 am

Hi Jess,

Do you mind describing (briefly but specifically) the changes that are most pressing, in order of priority? I'd likely tackle the top item on the list first to give your dev a chance to cut his or her teeth.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby jessgri » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:31 am

Our big issue is really only the one--being able to put an uploaded file into the last stage of the editorial process even if it wasn't submitted by someone who has both author and editor roles. I've successfully created and published two issues of another journal in which all I needed to do was upload files. Since I had journal manager, editor, and author roles, I could upload and click the "Click here to place article in the final stage of the editorial process" link (I know that's not verbatim, but I'm sure you know which link I mean) and then just schedule the articles to appear; the original PDFs then stay with all the authoring data and appear in the issue.

If there were a way for an editor to send a submission to the last stage of the process, even if it did not originate from someone who had an editorial role, that would be amazing. We have five conference proceedings journals which will operate in this way (and we're hoping to grow that number): where anywhere from a few dozen to a hundred or more authors will submit press-ready PDFs and we will be skipping the peer-review and editorial process entirely. That's really all we'd need for this to exactly fit our needs.

I did find in my research that we could do a batch import; I need to read more about that to see if it would make sense for us to try. My gut tells me that the creation of the import file would be more taxing than the workflow that involves downloading and uploading each individual submission—I'm comfortable with XML, but most of our editors, who we'd like to be able to set loose to manage the submissions for their own journals, are not.

Thanks again for your help. We've run into a couple of snags--you've already given us great assistance to us already on some issues we were having with our theme.
jessgri

Postby asmecher » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:47 am

Hi Jess,

I've got some code from a custom modification for OCS that adds a button to the Director's interface permitting them to promote the submitted file as a Galley. To apply this to OJS will require some adaptation, but as it's <50 lines of code this won't be onerous. Pretty much all of the changes will be adapting OCS's terminology into OJS terminology: track director to section editor, director to editor, paper to article. The systems are close parallels, both conceptually and in code.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Attachments
import-review-file.diff
Patch against OCS 2.3.5 to add a button to the Director's interface permitting promotion of the latest review file as a galley
(2.29 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion