OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

data loss - custom settings - on test server

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

data loss - custom settings - on test server

Postby Ken » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:30 am

wow, glad this is only the test server, not something I want to experience live.

All the custom settings I inputted yesterday do not show up. Custom header gifs, logo's, custom colour, footer tags, submission sections, etc do not display. I seem to be returned to the install state.

One of my journal article files are intact in the seperate folder (the first test article). I can not bring them up on a search or by going to the journal home page.

I cannot log in as root, editor or author.

Two things happened today:

While looking at the OJS files I noticed my install.php, upgrade.php and xmlimport.php had not been changed to the disabling .bak extension. I did so and after discovering the problem returned them to their .php extensions.

Shaw changed my dynamic at home ip address to a completely different series.

When I look at install.php on the final instructions page I see:

• /Users/ken/Sites/OJS/images/custom (currently writeable)
• /Users/ken/Sites/OJS/images/articleimages (currently writeable)
• (currently not writeable)

What is that hidden file that is not writeable? I noticed it before.

What did I do to restart the customization? I thought I saved my settings as I went along.

Where are the mirroring instructions for the web application or can I simply just cron to copy both folders (web app, journal documents) to a new server?

Where do the custom files reside?

Ken

running OSX.2.4 no updates
with stock Apache Server
using ojs-1.1.8.tar.gz
with Entropy php 4.3.4 http://www.php.net/downloads.php
and MySQL 4.0.20 http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/
Ken

Re: data loss - custom settings - on test server

Postby kevin » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:11 pm

All the custom settings I inputted yesterday do not show up. Custom header gifs, logo's, custom colour, footer tags, submission sections, etc do not display. I seem to be returned to the install state.

One of my journal article files are intact in the seperate folder (the first test article). I can not bring them up on a search or by going to the journal home page.

I cannot log in as root, editor or author.

It sounds like OJS can simply not connect to your database (e.g., the database server is not running, or the settings in include/db.php are incorrect).

While looking at the OJS files I noticed my install.php, upgrade.php and xmlimport.php had not been changed to the disabling .bak extension.

Those files are not required required for a functioning OJS system.

What is that hidden file that is not writeable? I noticed it before.

Unless you actually did not enter a file path during that step of the installation, this behaviour would indicate that OJS cannot connect to your database to retieve that value.

Where are the mirroring instructions for the web application or can I simply just cron to copy both folders (web app, journal documents) to a new server?

Such instructions are beyond the scope of the information we can provide, but unless the journal documents and database were on single servers you would need to ensure somehow that they are synchronized and stay consistent.

Where do the custom files reside?

Directories used for storing uploads include images/custom (journal customization images), images/articleimages (images uploaded for an HTML galley for an article), and the directory you specified during installation to hold submission and related files.
kevin

restart mysql server

Postby Ken » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:46 am

The reassignment of the ip address required a restart on my test server. I need to restart the mysql server, but not today.

At this stage I will reccommend we implement the OJS web application to administration. OJS is a fine publishing tool, it needs a better home then side of this desk.

My thanks to all the developers.
Ken

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion