OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Including login info on prepared emails to reviewers

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Including login info on prepared emails to reviewers

Postby ranjan » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:31 pm

Hello,
Is there a way to include the login information (username and password) automatically below the link to access the paper to review?
This will be convenient for the reviewer because most of them would have been enrolled a long time back. If the username and password are included in the request to review email it will be easier for the reviewer. If we do not provide this info, they will have to go through a password retrieval process for which they will need the original email used to register! They may not remember this if they have multiple emails. Usually, the reviewer will give up at this stage!

I tried including the following in my prepared email:
Username: {$username}
Password: {$password}

However, it simply reproduced the above verbatim without replacing the placeholders with the values!

How do I implement this in the prepared email?

Thanks
Ranjan
ranjan

Re: Including login info on prepared emails to reviewers

Postby JasonNugent » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:14 am

Hi Ranjan,

OJS does not store passwords in a clear text format in the database, so it is not possible for us to include a password in an email. The only time we'd have access to the original password is when the account is created. Have you tried using the 'one click' reviewer access setting that OJS does provide?

FYI, in order to include new variables in an email, it is also necessary to set those values in the parameter array when the email object is created in the code. If you'd like to pursue that process further, let me know and I can post some sample code.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby asmecher » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:28 am

Hi Ranjan,

Just to add to Jason's post, have you tried using one-click reviewer access? This can be enabled in Journal Setup, and will result in reviewer emails containing URLs that bypass the login process entirely.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby ranjan » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:10 pm

asmecher wrote:Hi Ranjan,

Just to add to Jason's post, have you tried using one-click reviewer access? This can be enabled in Journal Setup, and will result in reviewer emails containing URLs that bypass the login process entirely.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hello Alec,
I tried the one click reviewer assignment email template. However, when the reviewer clicks on the link to the manuscript, it seems to go to the login page instead of the paper directly.
How can by-pass the login page?
Thanks
Ranjan
ranjan

Postby ranjan » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:15 pm

JasonNugent wrote:Hi Ranjan,

OJS does not store passwords in a clear text format in the database, so it is not possible for us to include a password in an email. The only time we'd have access to the original password is when the account is created. Have you tried using the 'one click' reviewer access setting that OJS does provide?

FYI, in order to include new variables in an email, it is also necessary to set those values in the parameter array when the email object is created in the code. If you'd like to pursue that process further, let me know and I can post some sample code.

Regards,
Jason

Hello Jason,
Many of the reviewers we use may have created their login account using an email about 1 to 2 years ago. The one click link does not seem to go to the manuscript. It takes the reviewer to the login page.
Is there a way to include the user name and email of the reviewer in the body of the email so they can use this to retrieve their password if needed?
Can you please post the sample code as indicated in your email?
Thanks
Ranjan
ranjan

Postby asmecher » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:25 pm

Hi Ranjan,

What version of OJS are you using? Do these URLs contain the "key" variable?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby ranjan » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:51 pm

Hello Alec,
Thanks for your reply. Here is what I found on the UofM page describing our OJS:
This site uses Open Journal Systems 2.4.2.0, which is open source journal management and publishing software developed, supported, and freely distributed by the Public Knowledge Project under the GNU General Public License.

When I use the "one click" template to invite reviewers, it takes them to the login page to the OJS site of our journal without letting them see the article itself.
The body of the email contains the following hyperlink:

Submission URL: http://umanitoba.ca/publications/openjo ... ACCESS_KEY

Is this sufficient to get the reviewer to see the manuscript?
Please let me know.
Thanks
Ranjan

asmecher wrote:Hi Ranjan,

What version of OJS are you using? Do these URLs contain the "key" variable?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
ranjan

Postby asmecher » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:25 am

Hi Ranjan,

Is that URL the one displayed when editing the email, or is it the one actually received by a reviewer via email delivery?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby mikimos » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:09 am

Hi Alec,
we do have the same problem using 2.4.2.0 (www.aspajournal.it); the automatic link with the access key sent by email to a reviewer does not lead to the correct page where he/she can accept or decline, but to the login page:

Try by yourself:
>>>The review itself is due 2014-03-12.
>>>Submission URL:
>>>http://www.aspajournal.it/index.php/ijas/reviewer/submission/2613?key=K7wCxXqK

Any suggestion?
mikimos

Postby asmecher » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:15 am

Hi mikimos,

For OJS 2.4.2, try patching bug #8210 (listed on the recommended patches list).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support