OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Getting logged out when viewing pdf in Internet Explorer

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Getting logged out when viewing pdf in Internet Explorer

Postby MMeijer » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:38 am

Hi,
Today, one of our journal editors reported that she couldn't preview her uploaded pdfs.
It turns out that - only in Internet Explorer :( - you are logged out the moment you request a pdf.
Normally this isn't much of a problem for published articles in an open access journal.
But otherwise (when previewing as an editor or for restricted access journals), this seems to be an annoying bug.
It occurs in OJS 2.3.8 as well as in 2.4.2.
Any hints towards a solution?

Regards,
Maarten
MMeijer

Re: Getting logged out when viewing pdf in Internet Explorer

Postby JasonNugent » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:52 am

Hi Maarten,

I haven't been able to reproduce this on an OJS 2.3.8 installation with IE 8 or IE 9 yet. I am logged in as a user, and I can view PDFs that are published and present within the back issues catalog, and do require a login in order to view. What version of IE are you using this on? I am also using Acrobat Reader XI.

Any details will be helpful including, possibly, a login and a link to a problem so I can see. You can message me the details if you like.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby newbies » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:30 pm

This happens sometimes in Firefox, chrome, so it is not a browser specific issue. When trying to preview certain unpublished html or pdfs. you are logged out and redirected to the home page. But if you log back in, the problem won't occur any more.
newbies

Postby JasonNugent » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:57 am

Hi newbies,

Do you have a PDF on a journal that you can reproduce this faithfully? I'd really like to be able to see it happen so I can attempt to fix it.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby MMeijer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:43 am

Hi Jason,

I'm using Internet Explorer vs.10 in non "Compatibility View" mode.
In Compatibility View mode it can't find the Adobe Acrobat reader plugin. Somehow, it seems, the plugin logs me out from OJS.
It shows the pdf-content in the window but from that moment on you're logged out.
Not once, just every time.
I'll send you a private message with a login account for one of our journals.

Regards,
Maarten
MMeijer

Postby JasonNugent » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:50 am

Hi Maarten,

I can confirm the problem on your site in OJS 2.3.8, with IE 8 and the account you gave me. I can see the first load of the PDF just fine. If I reload the site, I'm logged out. Your site appears to be completely open access so I can still view PDFs for articles in the current issue, but yes, I am no longer logged in.

If you want me to debug this further, would it be possible to obtain a database dump? I can't duplicate this on my own OJS 2.3.8 installation so I wonder if it's a combination of configuration settings. The config.inc.php file would also be nice, if you scrub out any database passwords. I don't need any PDFs and I can continue to use the user account you provided.

I am only able to duplicate the problem on your site with IE. Chrome and Firefox seem unaffected.

Thanks for this.

Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby MMeijer » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:41 am

Hi Jason,

I sent you a database dump as requested.
May be it's useful to mention also a 2.4.2 journal with the same problem:
http://www.journalsi.org
(You can login with the same account)

These journals have in common that they were upgraded from OJS 2.2.3.0 (and moved from Solaris to Linux)

Regards,
Maarten
MMeijer

Return to OJS Technical Support