OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

HTML galley upload problems

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

HTML galley upload problems

Postby RM Mottola » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:34 pm

I am trying out an installation using localhost on a Windows PC over WAMP. Attempts to upload HTML files of about 22k silently fail. Following disk activity there is a blank screen. Returning back to the Home > User > Editor > Submissions > #4 > Editing screen, the file is not shown as uploaded in the Layout / Galley format section. However, if I look using the files editor the file has been uploaded into public. The Apache error log has an error message: 'file' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

I can upload smaller (~8k) HTML files just fine here and I can upload substantially larger pdfs here as well.

Any thoughts anyone? Thanks much.

rm
RM Mottola

Postby asmecher » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:15 pm

Hi rm,

There might be a few things at work here:
  • A blank screen often indicates that an error message has been sent to the Apache log; looks like you found the message.
  • OJS uses the mime_content_type function to determine what type a file is. This function needs to be configured on windows machines -- see http://ca3.php.net/manual/en/function.mime-content-type.php. The error message indicates that it's not properly configured.
  • You may also have upload limits configured in your webserver's configuration file and/or your php.ini file; see in particular php.ini's max_upload_filesize and post_max_size directives.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby RM Mottola » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:28 am

Thanks much for the tips, Alec.

Notes for those attempting to run over WAMP:

The default configuration implements mime_content_type very well. No additional work here is necessary.

The defaults for max_upload_filesize and post_max_size are also fine for all paractical purposes.

You'll want to change max_execution_time to some value > 30 in wamp/Apache2/bin/php.ini. From the UI info available during the upload of the galley one might think that just an upload is going on. But a full text index is being built, too. On my machine this takes ~ 1.5 min for a 20k HTML file.

rm
[/quote]
RM Mottola

Postby asmecher » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:04 am

Hi RM,

Hmm, that's quite slow for an HTML submission. The full-text index usually takes a few seconds per submission, even with PDFs, although this will depend on the number of keywords and indexed articles already present. I've found that different versions of MySQL have much different performance characteristics with the indexing code.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby RM Mottola » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:28 pm

Yeah, dog slow. Definitely a configuration issue and if I come across it I'll post here. But I am using this environment only to evaluate the OJS software so I may not get there.

rm
RM Mottola

Return to OJS Technical Support