OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Fatal error for some users when attempting to download a PDF

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Fatal error for some users when attempting to download a PDF

Postby jamilj » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:22 pm

Hello,

Several of my users are able to reproduce the following error consistently when they try to download a PDF from our site:

[26-Jan-2014 15:10:34 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function getBestIssueId() on a non-object in ~/public_html/archives_ojs/plugins/generic/usageEvent/UsageEventPlugin.inc.php on line 195

The works correctly for me so I am trying to get more information from the user. They say they have used multiple browsers in OS X, Safari and Firefox. I am asking about what plugins they may have enabled but I really have no idea what is going on. It also worth noting that there are several other errors in my log that appear to be endemic to version 2.4.3.0. For example,

[26-Jan-2014 17:33:28 UTC] ojs2 has produced an error
In file: ~/public_html/archives_ojs/classes/journal/JournalSettingsDAO.inc.php
At line: 83
Stacktrace:
Server info:
PHP Version: 5.3.17
Apache Version: N/A
DB Driver: mysql
DB server version: 5.1.72-cll

Note that I have changed the full path to "~".
jamilj

Re: Fatal error for some users when attempting to download a

Postby jamilj » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:11 pm

Hello,

I was able to figure out why this was happening. I created a user for our subscribers that was supposed to be active on February 1st. So it had no subscription attached. Our subscription manager then accidentally gave out that user info and password to a new subscriber. When they logged in and tried to download a PDF, the site gave this error. However, it was only because no subscription was attached. They system should not be putting out a fatal error in this case, it should simply say there is not an active subscription. So I think it is a bug.
jamilj

Postby besmobile » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:53 am

Similar situation with version 2.4.3!
besmobile

Postby asmecher » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:56 am

Hi besmobile,

Can you clarify what of the above symptoms you're seeing (e.g. which error message)? What version of OJS are you using?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby jamilj » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:38 am

Hi Alec,

With respect to the member without as subscription, the error was:

Code: Select all
[26-Jan-2014 15:10:34 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function getBestIssueId() on a non-object in ~/public_html/archives_ojs/plugins/generic/usageEvent/UsageEventPlugin.inc.php on line 195

This happens when someone signs in with an account for which there is no subscription at all (not simply an expired one) and they attempt to view a PDF. I am using the most recent version.
jamilj

Postby bbeghelli » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:25 pm

Hi all,

Try applying the patch suggested on this bug entry: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=8583

Let me know if anything goes wrong.

Cheers,
Bruno
bbeghelli

Return to OJS Technical Support