OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Citation Markup Assistant doesn't work

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Citation Markup Assistant doesn't work

Postby angevent » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:21 pm

Hello,

I'm working on Version 2.3.8 but Citation Markup Assistant doesn't give me results for CrossRef (I need only this Connector).
I've tried with all Citation Extraction Services and Citation Outputs. Is there any solution that I can read in another topic?

Thank you!

Angelo
angevent

Re: Citation Markup Assistant doesn't work

Postby axfelix » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:53 pm

Hi Angelo,

Are any of the connectors working for you? If not, you may be running across a bug that failed to populate the OJS database with some information that's necessary for the Citation Markup Assistant to function. This was fixed in 2.3.7, but if you've had an unusual upgrade path, you may be experiencing the same issue...

http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6817

If this isn't it, it's possible that CrossRef has changed their API. We're probably not going to be updating the existing Citation Markup Assistant, as we've replaced much of the functionality within a newer XML parsing pipeline (coming soon). CrossRef is on our radar here but we haven't actually gotten far along enough for me to know whether the API has changed in a way that'd cause trouble. I'll investigate if I get a chance.

alex
axfelix

Postby axfelix » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:02 pm

Actually, scratch that, just checked -- the CrossRef connector uses openURL, and:

http://www.crossref.org/openurl/

No longer supported. So that answers that question. I may be able to patch it in a way that would only work if the article has a DOI...
axfelix

How to disable Citation Markup Assistant

Postby csabbah » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:13 am

Is there a way to permanently disable the Citation Markup Assistant ?
It remains active even when one tries to disable it on the Submission Setup page.
Reloading this page always shows it is active.

Thank you
Claude
csabbah

Postby asmecher » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:00 pm

Hi Claude,

If you're having trouble modifying journal settings, it's likely that you have a file permissions problem in cache/. Double-check that the files there can be administered by OJS.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby focardi » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:50 pm

Hi,

I have the same problem as Claude disabling the Assistant. Just installed OJS. All settings works fine from the WEB except disabling the Markup Assistant. I uncheck, save, select again "submissions" and it's still there ... I've double checked permissions and changed ownership recursively just in case. Problem is still there. I've also checked Apache logs: Nothing interesting. (I've got the latest version of the software). Any hint?

(btw, first time that I try OJS. It is really great!)

Thanks
Riccardo
focardi

Postby asmecher » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:51 am

Hi Riccardo,

What version of OJS are you using? And just to confirm, are you sure you're not having trouble saving other settings?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby focardi » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:50 pm

Hi Alec,

From the README:
=== Version: 2.4.3
=== GIT tag: ojs-2_4_3-0
=== Release date: December 4, 2013

I've tried now to change author guidelines (also in step 3) and uncheck the assistant. When I reload the guidelines are there but the assistant si checked. I've tried a submission and the guidelines are updated but the system still asks for references. If you tell me what to look for in the database I can report what's there. I've seen that metaCitations appears twice in journal_settings the first time with empty locale and the second time with en_US locale. The former is bool and value 0. The latter is string and value 1. This sounds a bit strange to me but I don't know if it's related to the problem.

Thanks and best wishes
Riccardo
focardi

Postby asmecher » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:52 am

Hi Riccardo,

That locale problem is likely the culprit. Try deleting both metaCitations entries from your database; flush your cache by deleting all .php files from the cache/ subdirectory; then find Setup step 3 and save the form.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby macteo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:26 pm

Hi,
Same problem on OJS 2.4.2. Button is still just checked after performing the above steps (delete in DB, clear cache) and CMA not start in /References.
Again, much appreciated the help,
Marius
macteo

Postby asmecher » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:12 pm

Hi Marius,

Is your goal to disable the CMA, or to get it working? Have you tried any of the suggestions above?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby macteo » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:26 am

Hi Alec,
Sorry being confusing, we want it working - we will start with DOI (and also to provide the full HTML version), so we are interested in references.
I used all the three steps above from Ricardo - clean the two records in DB, delete all .php from cache and come back to Step 3 again. Here, the option for CMA checked by default, but still not functioning when trying to edit references as Editor.
Thanks once for kindness,
Marius
macteo

Postby asmecher » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:45 am

Hi Marius,

Unfortunately this response is going to be less than helpful. See this thread -- there are some suggestions for what might be going wrong (at least one of the external APIs has been deprecated), but also a note on our current level of support for the Citation Markup Assistant. We do know that it's reported working and has active users, but unfortunately we're not currently supporting it.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby macteo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:41 am

Hi Alec,
Ok, I'll try to find what's up there.
Thanks once,
Marius
macteo

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion