OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Static page in different languages with CMS Plugin

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Static page in different languages with CMS Plugin

Postby uko » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:13 am

Hi to all,
My attempt:
I only was able to create a static page for more then one language if I created the sub-folder 'lang_Lang' in upload-folder 'content' manually; otherwise it overwrote my page in the language where I used the Plugin first. With that I now have a static page in two language versions, but the link to it (text as well as url) switches not immediately when switching the language.
Thanks in advance,
Ute
uko

Re: Static page in different languages with CMS Plugin

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:56 am

Hi Uto,

Just to clarify: doe the linktext switch after a page refresh, or not at all? Also, the CMS plugin I believe will be getting some tuning for the next release of OJS, so any help in pointing out issues is appreciated.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby uko » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:35 am

Hi James,

As far as I can see, the link in the sidebar only toggles on the static page, not on all other pages. Additionally: the link on all other pages is shown first in the language which was set as primary locale for the journal in question independent what language actually was selected. Any page refresh doesn't change the view of both: the link but also the content (text) of the static page. If I want to see a language dependent version of the static page, I only can view it when calling it twice by clicking again the link in the sidebar.

Hope, I was able to clarify it (and my description was understandable).
Thanks,
Ute
uko

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:18 pm

Hi Ute,

Many thanks for the more detailed description -- I'll be sending this thread to the CMS plugin maintainer to look at.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby jalperin » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:08 am

Ute,

You are right. There was a bug in the CMS plugin that does now allow for different language pages to be saved. I am working on this at the moment and I will post a patch here soon. However, due to the short-sighted design (my own!) of the CMS plugin, the multi-lingual capabilities of this plugin will be somewhat limited.

I will come up with some kind of solution, probably today, and will post the patch + explanation of limitations here.

Thanks for your patience!
jalperin

Postby jalperin » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:04 pm

Ute,

I posted a fix. You can view the patch at: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3432

The limitations of the plugin have to do with the way in which pages are loaded based on the Header of each page. This means that when you want to load the first page, say its titled "Home" you have to use the url .../cms/view/home. If you translate this page to spanish, then the URL changes to .../cms/view/inicio.

This means that someone viewing cms/view/home who changes the language to spanish, will remain on the english language page and not switch to the spanish one.

I have made a note to refactor the CMS plugin, because there are a few things that don't work quite as I'd like them to. See bugzilla entry http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3431

For people who don't care about having the table of contents in the sidebar, I am thinking that another CMS plugin should be developed which forgets all the crazy parsing things and just provides simple static pages. If I can find some time, I will try to develop something for this soon.

Any feedback/comments welcome.
jalperin

Postby steffen » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:02 am

I am experiencing the same problem with the static pages plugin in OCS.

Can I use the fix on my OCS installation as well?
steffen

Return to OJS Technical Support