OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Changing role type

Are you a Director, Presenter, Reviewer or Conference Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OCS from an everyday user's perspective: conference managers, presenters, and directors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OCS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OCS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OCS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OCS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OCS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Changing role type

Postby engdoc » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:55 pm

How can I change a user, who registered as a "Reader", to an "Author" so he can submit an abstract?
And, can I change configuration so that "Reader" is able to submit an abstract? I'm afraid people will miss the "user type" when they register, and the default is "Reader". Or is that not advisable?
Thanks and Happy New Year!
engdoc

Re: Changing role type

Postby asmecher » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:41 am

Hi engdoc,

We're generally cautious about assuming all new accounts will want to be authors -- as you've seen, users tend not to read the forms very carefully, and a default checked "sign up as author" checkbox would result in many author accounts for users who don't actually want to be authos. This becomes relevant if you want to e.g. contact all users with an author role; you'll end up contacting many users for whom it's not relevant.

Users who don't have an author role but who follow the "submit" link anyway should be granted an author role automatically, as long as author registration is open (check your timeline dates).

If you want to change the defaults anyway, the code in question is in classes/user/form/CreateAccountForm.inc.php, particularly in the initData function.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby engdoc » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:57 pm

Thank you, Alec. The trouble is, the [New Submission] link does not appear if one is only registered as a reader. Is there a way I can change a Reader to an Author, rather than having to contact the person and asking him to re-register as an author?
engdoc

Postby asmecher » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:05 pm

Hi engdoc,

Yes, you can edit their profile as Conference Manager, either by working with the Roles directly, or by using the "Log In As" feature for that user's account and then editing their profile.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby engdoc » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:39 pm

There must be something wrong with the way this is configured - I (logged in as Conference Manager) only have the option to enrol users as Conference Manager. Shouldn't I also see options to enrol people as "Director", "Track Director", "Reviewer" ?
engdoc

Postby asmecher » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:01 am

Hi engdoc,

Go to User Home > Conference Manager; you should see, under "Current Conferences", your event listed. Under that there should be options to manage users, e.g. a listing of Roles associated with that event. If not, you probably need to create a Scheduled Conference (under "Scheduled Conferences") first.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby engdoc » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:27 am

Thanks, Alec. It turned out that even though I was registered as a conference manager (in general), I was not set up as "active conference manager" for this particular conference. Thanks for your help!!
engdoc

Return to OCS Conference Support and Discussion