You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Full Text Indexing

OJS development discussion, enhancement requests, third-party patches and plug-ins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
The Public Knowledge Project Support Forum is moving to http://forum.pkp.sfu.ca

This forum will be maintained permanently as an archived historical resource, but all new questions should be added to the new forum. Questions will no longer be monitored on this old forum after March 30, 2015.

Full Text Indexing

Postby zain » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:29 pm

Hello ,
My project is related to OJS development .It is about full text indexing using Map Reduce
My question is this plugin will be a good contribution to OJS or this feature already available in OJS ?
Could any one give me a brief description of the text indexing in OJS?

Thanks ,

Re: Full Text Indexing

Postby asmecher » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:30 pm

Hi Zain,

Generally OJS uses an inverted index stored in MySQL to store text extracted either from its own built-in HTML tokenizer or externally configured tools to pull text from e.g. PDF or PostScript files. (These tools are configured in config.inc.php.) The article_search_* tables store the extracted content.

The alternative is to use the Lucene plugin, which is implemented in plugins/generic/lucene. If you're interested in implementing an alternative to the built-in indexing tools, this would be a good plugin to model your work after.

Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Re: Full Text Indexing

Postby zain » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:49 pm

Thanks for the information .

Return to OJS Development