OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Articles missing after recent upgrading

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Articles missing after recent upgrading

Postby Astro » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:12 am

Dear OJS colleagues,

My problem, in a nutshell, is: after upgrading, I cannot access published articles. Neither by clicking in their main link (the one that lead to the abstract, key-words and references before seeing the pdf), nor by clicking directly in the pdf links.

Everything else is working just well and I can access the system as a manager or editor and do anything I need. I can even access the files of any submission just normally. Upgrading even corrected a few bugs the system had before (which were my main reason for upgrading, by the way). The only problem is to access the published articles not within the editor's system, i.e. as a reader.

If it helps, I inform that I've upgraded from version 2.3.6 to 2.4.2.

Any ideas on what may be going on?

Thanks in advance for your time.

EDIT: it seems that I found another clue. If I search for the past issues, I find all of them and if I click them, I see their correct summary with all papers listed. But when accessing the published issues at /editor/backIssues, i.e. as the system manager, something different happens. Yes, all published issues are listed, but when I click any of them, there is nothing inside. More than that, the page doesn't finish to load: it show the first lines of the Table of Contents but when it should start listing the articles, page becomes all blank, even without the footer.
Astro

Re: Articles missing after recent upgrading

Postby asmecher » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:31 am

Hi Astro,

A blank or partially blank page usually indicates a PHP error; check your error log for more information. There are some other hints in the FAQ.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Astro » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:40 am

Hi Alec, thanks for the suggestion and sorry for not taking this step at first.

So I found the instruction at the FAQ and did insert the following code in the index.php file:

Code: Select all
ini_set('display_errors', E_ALL);

Now, when I try to access any published articles as mentioned before (i.e. either by clicking in their title main link or in their direct pdf link), I get the following error message:

Code: Select all
 Fatal error: Call to undefined method PublishedArticle::getDOI() in /myojs/cache/t_compile/%%28^280^280EE005%%dublincore.tpl.php on line 77

Searching for something about this error in the forum to gather more information, I actually found a thread right on this point, with the precise same problem, even with the same origin, which is: after upgrading I have copied my older template folder over the new one, as I had a lot of customized templates in the journal. Here is the link for this previous thread: https://pkp-www.lib.sfu.ca/support/foru ... =8&t=10742

So I just followed your suggestions from that thread and checked the differences between older and newer dublincore.tpl.php files. In fact they had differences and just to be in the safe side, I copied the newer file over the older. Now, what happens is: the link for the published articles work, bringing the articles' pages with abstracts, references and other info. But clicking to really read the pdf file still fails. Neither it appears in the pdf viewer (and I do have the latest Adobe Reader webrowser plugin) and nor the link do download the pdf works. Actually this link for direct downloading again gives me a blank page, even with the modification made by following the FAQ indication for debuging php errors.

Would you or anyone could come up with ideas on what may be going on? Thanks again for your time.

EDITED: I also tried overwriting all files in /template/article folder with the 2.4.2 installation ones, and nothing changed.
Astro

Postby asmecher » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:13 am

Hi Astro,

Is it possible that you still have several versions of the code mixed together, e.g. if you copied the class files for a new version of OJS over top of those for an old installation? Several files moved location but kept their names across upgrades, and if OJS finds the wrong version to import, this may cause problems like you describe.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support