OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

size problem after editing metadata

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

size problem after editing metadata

Postby abhiram » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:33 am

Hi Alec,
I uploaded 6 issues of our journal ( Journal Of Tropical Agriculture) . Later I edited metadata to give italicisation for Scientific names both in the article title and in the article abstract. Currently we are using shared server with maximum size is 100mb . Before metadata editing . the total serverspace consumed was 45 mb , after editing it exceeds 100 mb Server admin send a warning related to this disk space usage . How can i limit the disk space usage without deleting a journal issue

Regards
Abhiram .H
abhiram

Postby asmecher » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:20 am

Hi Abhiram,

You'll have to do a little investigation to see what's using all that space. My suspicion is that it's ADODB's database cache, which is in the cache/_db directory; see how big the contents of that directory is. This cache is used for things like search results. Alternately, check to see how big your OJS files path is; if it's the problem, you can likely delete certain files from it. Either way, see what's taking the most room and I'll recommend ways to minimize it.

Generally speaking, though, 100MB isn't a lot when you're dealing with record-keeping and search caching...

Regards,
Alec
asmecher

Postby abhiram » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:28 am

Hi Alec,

Disk space usage look like this

Disk Usage Viewer

Directory Space Used
public_html/files 104.06 Meg
public_html/cache 7.42 Meg
public_html/help 3.20 Meg
public_html/classes 2.46 Meg
public_html/templates 1.87 Meg
public_html/locale 1.76 Meg
tmp/analog 1.75 Meg
public_html/lib 1.67 Meg
public_html/plugins 1.42 Meg
public_html/docs 1.16 Meg
public_html/rt 0.92 Meg
public_html/pages 0.89 Meg
tmp/webalizer 0.68 Meg
public_html/dbscripts 0.50 Meg
tmp/urchin 0.23 Meg
public_html/public 0.20 Meg
tmp/webalizerftp 0.17 Meg
tmp/awstats 0.16 Meg
public_html/registry 0.13 Meg
public_html/tools 0.07 Meg
public_html/_vti_pvt 0.05 Meg
etc/jtropag.in 0.04 Meg
mail/jtropag.in 0.03 Meg
public_html/styles 0.03 Meg
public_html/_vti_bin 0.02 Meg
.neomail/ejtropag 0.02 Meg
public_html/includes 0.02 Meg
public_html/WEB-INF 0.02 Meg
public_html/_vti_log 0.01 Meg
public_html/_private 0.01 Meg
public_html/_vti_txt 0.01 Meg
public_html/_vti_cnf 0.01 Meg
public_html/js 0.01 Meg
tmp/cpbandwidth 0.01 Meg
public_html/images.bak 0.00 Meg
public_ftp/incoming 0.00 Meg
public_html/images 0.00 Meg
etc/.boxtrapper 0.00 Meg
public_html/cgi-bin 0.00 Meg

Regards
Abhiram .H

asmecher wrote:Hi Abhiram,

You'll have to do a little investigation to see what's using all that space. My suspicion is that it's ADODB's database cache, which is in the cache/_db directory; see how big the contents of that directory is. This cache is used for things like search results. Alternately, check to see how big your OJS files path is; if it's the problem, you can likely delete certain files from it. Either way, see what's taking the most room and I'll recommend ways to minimize it.

Generally speaking, though, 100MB isn't a lot when you're dealing with record-keeping and search caching...

Regards,
Alec
abhiram

Postby asmecher » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:51 am

Hi Abhiram,

OK, the obvious culprit is your files directory. OJS stores many copies of a submission in its various stages for record-keeping; if you like, you can move these off-line. If you just want to keep the published articles and related files, you'll need to keep files named as follows:
  • *-PB.* - These are the galleys, related images, and stylesheets (e.g. HTML, GIF, PDF, and CSS)
  • *-SP.* - These are supplemental files
The rest of the files can be moved offline, either using the Files Browser or another tool like an FTP client. Keep in mind that this will break links from the editing system to download the files.

In general, though, I'd suggest making more space available. Disk space is cheap and you'll eventually need to get more as you publish more and more documents -- keep in mind that many PDFs are a few megabytes apiece, and at that rate, 100MB won't last long.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby abhiram » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:02 pm

Hi Alec,
You told me to remove all the files except the files having names *-PB*- and *-SP*- .I find two folders named "original" and "review" in /var/www/html/ojs4/files/journals/2/articles/100. The file corresponding to the article In "original" directory is "100-288-1-SM.pdf" and that one in the "review directory is 100-289-1-RV.pdf . I edited the metadata to include italicas to the scientfic names found in the article title and in abstract. I wants to know i s there any problem to the data that I edited when i remove the file "100-289-1-RV.pdf" from the review directory

Looking Forward Your Reply

Regards
Abhiram .H

asmecher wrote:Hi Abhiram,

OK, the obvious culprit is your files directory. OJS stores many copies of a submission in its various stages for record-keeping; if you like, you can move these off-line. If you just want to keep the published articles and related files, you'll need to keep files named as follows:
  • *-PB.* - These are the galleys, related images, and stylesheets (e.g. HTML, GIF, PDF, and CSS)
  • *-SP.* - These are supplemental files
The rest of the files can be moved offline, either using the Files Browser or another tool like an FTP client. Keep in mind that this will break links from the editing system to download the files.

In general, though, I'd suggest making more space available. Disk space is cheap and you'll eventually need to get more as you publish more and more documents -- keep in mind that many PDFs are a few megabytes apiece, and at that rate, 100MB won't last long.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
abhiram

Postby asmecher » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:44 am

Hi Abhiram,

The *-SM.* files are the original submission files, and the *-RV.* files are the review versions. You can delete these without affecting the published journal, but of course it'll result in broken links when you attempt to access these respective versions in the workflow (e.g. as Editor or as Reviewer). In general I wouldn't suggest deleting these files, as record-keeping can be very important, but if you absolutely need the space and you have these files elsewhere you can go ahead.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support