OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Emails to copyeditors / reviewers not being received

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Emails to copyeditors / reviewers not being received

Postby jacobjoh » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:04 am

Yes, I have read through all previous posts on this :D

My problem is that emails to reviewers and copyeditors are not being received by them. When sending an email to myself through OJS that works. I understand that there is a bug related to this but I cannot upgrade at the moment. Is there any way of getting this fixed? My hosting's email log shows some emails going through. It appears that a lot of emails are being send out to spam accounts such as 'pl.i.g.h.t.k.i.b@gmail.com'.
SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:: host alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [173.194.79.26]: 450-4.2.1 The user you are trying to contact is receiving mail too quickly.\n450-4.2.1 Please resend your message'

What can I do to stop this?
jacobjoh

Re: Emails to copyeditors / reviewers not being received

Postby JasonNugent » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:04 am

Hi jacobjoh,

Have you looked through your users table to see if that spam email address is assigned to any of your existing users?

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby jacobjoh » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:32 am

I think there are two problems: there seem to be 9000 users registered with the journal, a lot of them spam accounts I fear. How I can get rid of them?

Our domain seems to have been hijacked by spammers and there is a lot of mail being send out that seems to be coming from our domain..is there any way this can be eliminated? We are with GoDaddy and so far I have not found a solution :(
jacobjoh

Postby jacobjoh » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:13 pm

OK, I am now trying to implement the captacha but I am only seeing the background image and no font. I have downloaded and uploaded the freefront.ttf and the folder is like this: /public_html/FA_New/OJS/font/FreeSerif.ttf but nothing is showing :(

Update:
RESOLVED :) but the above issues are still there
jacobjoh

Postby asmecher » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:04 am

Hi jacobjoh,

See http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/docs/userguide/2.3.3/journalManagementUserMerge.html, and also the tools/mergeUsers.php command-line tool. There are lots of other threads about cleaning up spam accounts on this forum.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby jacobjoh » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:00 am

Is this the only way? This would mean I would have to look at 9000 entries?
jacobjoh

Postby asmecher » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:11 am

Hi jacobjoh,

Alternately, you could use SQL queries to accomplish the same thing. The "users" table is the primary one you'd want to look at; once you know what user_id values you want to remove from the database, simply delete them from the users table. Then delete the same entries from user_interests and user_settings. It's possible that other tables will be affected, depending on what those accounts were used for -- Submissions? Peer review comments? -- but in my experience the above three are the only important ones.

The trick will be determining a rule you can use to determine who the spam accounts are and who the valid ones are without having to review the entire list. That'll depend on some inspection of your data.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby jacobjoh » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:31 pm

Thanks, Alec. I will give it a go.
jacobjoh

Return to OJS Technical Support