OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

"No user exists with the specified email address"

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

"No user exists with the specified email address"

Postby rootl » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:32 pm

Greetings,

Several users of our journals receive this message if they try to reset their password: "No user exists with the specified email address" .

However, their email addresses do exist in the database and show in the list of enrolled users. They all have various roles assigned to them (Journal Manager, Editor, Author, etc)

If the users do remember their password, they are able to log in.

When logged in as admin, I can email the users from within OJS. Emailing works fine.

We have cleared all caches and expired all user sessions. Still, this message appears if a user tries to reset the password.

Any ideas? Thanks.
rootl

Re: "No user exists with the specified email address"

Postby asmecher » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:08 pm

Hi rootl,

Is it possible that there are capitalization differences between the email they registered with and the one they're attempting to reset? I haven't checked, but it's possible that we're not discarding differences in capitalization when we try to reset passwords.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby rootl » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:43 pm

Hi Alec,

Thanks for this information. I will give each user his/her email address as it is stored and displayed in OJS. I will tell the users that email addresses are case-sensitive. I will let you know if this will solve the problem. Thanks.
rootl

Postby rootl » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:35 am

Greetings:

We have used our email addresses *exactly* as how they are stored within OJS. We receive the error on individual journals that we are registered with, and also at the main login area (in our case https://ojs.geneseo.edu/index.php).

I created a new test account, with a new email address. and registered with one of the journals as an author. I received the same error message when testing 'lost password' on both the journal itself and with the main login area.

Case sensitivity does not seem to be the problem.
rootl

Postby asmecher » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:42 pm

Hi rootl,

Hmm, I just registered my own email with https://ojs.geneseo.edu/index.php/praxis and went through a reset process without trouble. Is it always a problem for you, or only sometimes? Is there anything unusual about the email addresses, i.e. unusual characters?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby rootl » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:04 am

This issue is happening with several users - over a dozen.

Try Gandy Dancer and Educational Change. Those are the journals users with the most users.

Also, please try the main page login: https://ojs.geneseo.edu/index.php/

To test again today, both another user and myself registered as new users, with completely new email addresses.

I tested the reset once and it worked fine.

I tried it again later and received the error message.

The other user was not able to reset password at all and always received the error message.

The email addresses we use do not have any special characters and they are all lower case.

I can privately message you a screen shot the email list of all users.

I can also privately message you a screen shot of any other screen if it will help diagnose the problem.
rootl

Postby asmecher » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:58 am

Hi rootl,

Tracing through the code, request that leads to that error message needs to do the following...
  • Get the user account from the database by email address (case sensitive)
  • Get the user account from the database using the user ID retrieved in the above step
  • Generate an MD5 hash using the user's numeric ID, username, and password hash

I suppose the process could fail if the first 6 characters of the MD5 hash happen to correspond to 00000, but that's extremely unlikely. You can remove that possibility as follows:
  • Edit lib/pkp/pages/login/PKPLoginHandler.inc.php
  • Find the function "requestResetPassword"
  • Find the line...
    Code: Select all
    if ($user == null || ($hash = Validation::generatePasswordResetHash($user->getId())) == false) {
  • Change it to...
    Code: Select all
    if ($user == null || ($hash = Validation::generatePasswordResetHash($user->getId())) === false) {
    (The double-equals becomes a triple-equals)
Otherwise, I'm having a hard time spotting where you could be seeing this behavior. Can you reproduce it reliably, or does it come and go? Have you checked your server's error log for anything relevant? Are there any local modifications that might be involved?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby rootl » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:33 am

Hi Alec,

We are using sha1 encoding, not md5 hash. We are using SSL.

All charset settings are UTF-8.

The error is constantly reproducible and occurs with all users who have tried to recover their password.

The error happens on the 'main' login page https://ojs.geneseo.edu/index.php/ as well as individual journals.

We have cleared all user sessions, cleared all caches.

Other than 'missing favicon' errors, the following type of error is what we are getting:

ojs2 has produced an error\n Message: WARNING: htmlspecialchars() [<a href='function.htmlspecialchars'>function.htmlspecialchars</a>]: Invalid multibyte sequence in argument\n In file: C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Apache\\Apache2.2\\htdocs\\ojs\\lib\\pkp\\lib\\smarty\\plugins\\modifier.escape.php\n At line: 26\n Stacktrace: \n Server info:\n OS: WINNT\n PHP Version: 5.2.17\n Apache Version: Apache/2.2.22 (Win32) mod_ssl/2.2.22 OpenSSL/0.9.8t PHP/5.2.17\n

Let me know if you want me to pm you a screen capture of all the user's email addresses. All users' email addresses are in lower case, and none use any special characters.

Thanks.
rootl

Postby asmecher » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:03 am

Hi rootl,

The password reset process always uses MD5, regardless of what your password storage hash is configured to be.

Just double-checking -- I was able to reset my password, so unless something's changed, it's not *all* users. Is it possible that it's only certain users, but for those users, resetting passwords never works?

The "escape" error message you quoted is cosmetic and not related to this IMO.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby rootl » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:57 am

This odd problem was resolved when we upgraded to 2.4.3
rootl

Return to OJS Technical Support