OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Very old Migration.

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Very old Migration.

Postby bdgregg » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:50 am

All,

I've been tasked with migrating a single old 2.2.0.0 OJS installation to at least version 2.3.8. I know that there were at one time some jumps I could do to get us through the versions quicker than upgrading through all of the versions, but I have lost my list of the major stable jumps I could do. Could someone be so kind to give some advise as to which versions I need to upgrade through so that I don't have to go through all of the versions if something like that is available?

Thanks in advance.
bdgregg

Re: Very old Migration.

Postby asmecher » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:46 am

Hi Brian,

There should be no need to jump via intermediate versions; you should be able to upgrade to the current stable release (OJS 2.4.2) directly. If you hit problems, please post them here. You should probably apply the OJS 2.4.2 recommended patches before running the upgrade script.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby bdgregg » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:49 am

Alec,

Thanks for this, this will drastically help obviously. :D
bdgregg

Postby btbell » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:00 pm

Alec,

I've made the upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3.8. The upgrade went pretty smoothly with the exception of some minor CSS modifications, and the site seems mostly functional with the exception of the following issue:

The abstract and pdf links only work for the first record in each issue, present and archived. So if you click on the first title on any of the issues, you will get the corresponding pdf or abstract. However, if you click on any other title, it will take you back to the landing page. Note: when you mouse over the link, you see the correctly url.

Thanks!

-brian

Brian Bell
ULS IT
University of Pittsburgh
btbell@pitt.edu
btbell

Postby asmecher » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:21 pm

Hi Brian,

That sounds pretty unusual -- are you sure that the "first article works" condition isn't a red herring, i.e. can you double-check that the correlation holds? Can you compare the entries in articles and published_articles for working and non-working content?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby vgabler » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:29 pm

Hi, Alec,

I'm helping Brian test the behavior for this, so I wanted to jump in on the thread so I can provide additional details as we continue to test.

Vanessa Gabler
vgabler

Postby btbell » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:43 pm

Alec,

In response to your earlier question, after creating a new issue with article (after the upgrade) and more testing, this is what Vanessa and Lauren found:

IF you are logged in, you can see all article abstracts from all issues, newly created (after the upgrade), or archived.

IF you aren't logged in, you can see ONLY the first record abstract you click on (regardless of whether it's the first record, second, third, etc.) from each issue, and not the first record abstract of each issue as I first had reported. Any abstract after that that you click on, will return you to the landing page of the journal.

Hope this sheds more light.

-brian
btbell

Postby asmecher » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:27 pm

Hi Brian,

And if you compare entries in articles and published_articles entries?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby vgabler » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:26 am

Hi, Alec,

I don't understand what you mean by "entries in articles and published_articles entries?" Do these refer to specific phrases in the code base? They don't correspond to phrases in the User Interface, and I'm unsure to which specific elements in OJS you are referring. I can focus my testing to address your question if I know where to look. The behaviour is coming beginning with an issue's Table of Contents and not at the article level, so I'm not sure how I would test unpublished articles aside from the TOC page of a future issue. I think I did that with the same results, but I can always retest to confirm. If your question relates to something else though, a little more information might help me to make sure I'm looking in the right place.

All best,
Vanessa Gabler
vgabler

Postby asmecher » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:07 am

Hi Vanessa,

These are entries in the database, and you'll have to use a mysql client like phpMyAdmin or the command-line client to access it. If you know an article ID that you want to inquire about, then you can dump its entries in those two tables using (e.g. for article ID 123)...
Code: Select all
SELECT * FROM articles WHERE article_id=123;
SELECT * FROM published_articles WHERE article_id=123;
Dumping an entry for an article that works OK and another that doesn't, and then comparing the two, ought to give some clues. Particularly the published_articles table.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby btbell » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:36 pm

Alec,

To make a long story short, here's what I found. Based on the articles table, records that have their status set to 1 fail (redirect to the main page when you click on the title link), ones with their status set to 3, work (you can click on the title link and it brings up the abstract). So, I updated a few records and changed their status from 1 to 3 and they now work. Does this make sense?

-brian
btbell

Postby asmecher » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi Brian,

That makes sense. Those constants are defined in classes/article/Article.inc.php:
Code: Select all
// Submission status constants
define('STATUS_ARCHIVED', 0);
define('STATUS_QUEUED', 1);
// define('STATUS_SCHEDULED', 2); // #2187: Scheduling queue removed.
define('STATUS_PUBLISHED', 3);
define('STATUS_DECLINED', 4);
It's most likely that a combination of data errors and lax validation led to these submissions being published in old versions of OJS; current behavior (only status=3 should be available to readers) is correct.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support