OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Adding a custom identifier upon import

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Adding a custom identifier upon import

Postby jamilj » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:45 pm

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can explain how to add a custom ID to issues and articles upon import. I have tried adding "public_id" to the "<issue>" and "<article>" but it does not work properly. Only the issue is given an ID, and the wrong one at that: it is consistently the final ID of the article (not issue) that is actually assigned to the issue. Meanwhile, the "<id>" tag does not appear to do anything. In the documentation it says that "The type attribute follows NLM pub-id-type semantics" but attributes such as "publisher-id" do not work, even though they are listed by NLM.
jamilj

Re: Adding a custom identifier upon import

Postby asmecher » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:38 am

Hi jamilj,

What version of OJS are you using? Have you validated your XML against the DTD (plugins/importexport/native/native.dtd)?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby jamilj » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:22 am

Dear Alex,

Yes, I have validated. I do so before attempting to import each time. Version 2.4.2.0. Here are the two variants I have tried:

Code: Select all
   <issue identification="num_vol_year" published="true" current="false" public_id="MR-001-01-1949-05">

Code: Select all
   <issue published="true" current="false" identification="title">
         <id type="publisher-id">MR-001-01-1949-05</id>

As well as the same format for "<article>". I tried numerous permutations of "type" for "<id>" and none worked.

A side note is that I cannot find where I can actually see the "custom identifier" or "public id" field for articles in the back end. It just is not there.
jamilj

Postby asmecher » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:35 am

Hi jamilj,

You can turn on custom article identifiers in Journal Setup, step 4, under "Identification of Journal Content". Identifiers will be visible in the Editor's "Issue Management" area, where the issue table of contents is listed.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby jamilj » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:15 pm

Hi Alec,

I know I can turn that on and I did so quite a while ago. I've read through all of the documentation. I was talking about the public ID for articles not issues. The article public ID does not seem to appear in the back end at all.

In addition, I'm still having major import problems as I note above.

P.S. Unfortunately the documentation is lacking in important areas and it makes it difficult for people to migrate to this platform. I'd be happy to update the documentation as I have a long list of issues that I would like to address at some point.
jamilj

Postby asmecher » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:51 pm

Hi jamilj,

Sure, feedback is welcome. We're aware that our documentation is a little scant.

For published article identifiers, turn on the checkbox in Setup step 4 titled "Custom identifiers will be used to identify published items." With that option enabled, you should see the ability to attach identifiers to published articles in the Editor's issue management area, as I mentioned above.

Confirm that you're able to able to see that, and I'll look into the problem with article identifiers being attached to issues etc.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby jamilj » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:05 pm

Hi Alec,

Yes, I can confirm it is there now. My apologies. I thought you had to go into the article, as with the issue.

Still having trouble with importing IDs but I'm glad to know this works. Thank you.
jamilj

Postby asmecher » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:42 pm

Hi jamilj,

I found a typo that's likely causing the behavior you describe -- see the patch attached to http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=8468. With this patch applied, you should be able to use the "public_id" attributes to the article and issue elements.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby jamilj » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:39 pm

Hi Alec,

I did not apply all of the patches to my beta installation and at first I thought I'd missed the patch you linked above. (I had already installed them in my newer installation and mistakenly thought I'd done both.) However, this patch does not look like it is included with the rest of the 2.4.2 patches. I assume it is new? If so, I'll apply it to my other installation as well.

Regards,

Jamil
jamilj

Postby asmecher » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:48 pm

Hi Jamil,

That's correct; I've only just created that bug entry and patch.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby jamilj » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:55 pm

That worked! Thanks, Alec!
jamilj

Return to OJS Technical Support