OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Uploading images to HTML galley - problem!

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Uploading images to HTML galley - problem!

Postby Albert » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:46 pm

Hello There!

We are using OJS 2.4.2. The author submitted a pdf file. When the editor opened the file, there was a message saying, “If the article is a revised format you can go to step 4 in the editing process.” The Editor then assigned a Layout Editor to the article. Now, when the Layout Editor tries to upload the HTML version of the file, he does not have available the option to upload the images of the paper. The proof shows blank space where there is an image.
What can we do if we have now the word version of the article? How can we fix this problem?
I would appreciate very much your help.

Regards,

Albert

PS: We are using OJS 2.4.2.
Albert

Re: Uploading images to HTML galley - problem!

Postby asmecher » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:29 am

Hi Albert,

The problem is likely related to MIME type detection; check out the threads in this forum about MIME type detection, and verify what MIME type was detected by checking the relevant row in the article_files table in your database.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Albert » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:34 am

Hello Alec,

1. Where can I find these scripts?
.. PHP script containing the following: <?php echo "First MIME type: " . mime_content_type ('first_file_name.pdf'). "\n"; ... step.

2. Where can I find the mime type detection setup? Once I find it, what should I disable?
I believe that point 1 can fix the problem because the problem is happening only with that article that an author uploaded on PDF format.

I would appreciate very much your help.

Regards,

Albert
Albert

Postby asmecher » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:44 am

Hi Albert,

Have a look at http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/PKP_Frequently_Asked_Questions#HTML_Galleys_don.27t_display_properly_.2F_files_I_upload_aren.27t_being_identified_properly.; the MIME type detection is implemented in lib/pkp/classes/core/String.inc.php in the "mime_content_type" function.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Albert » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:18 pm

Hello Alec,
Thank you for your reply. I checked out the information you sent me. The problem am confronting is that the system is recognizing well all HTML files except for one that was initially uploaded as a pdf and not as a word document. I tried uploading the same file as a word document but it was not able to fix the problem for this specific article. The last option is to delete this article from the system, and upload again a fresh word document. I read in the wiki page you sent me about deleting articles, but as this article was already approved, I cannot change its status.
So I will publish this issue and offer for this article only a PDF and EPUB formats.
Thank you for you help!
Regards,
Albert
Albert

Postby asmecher » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:50 pm

Hi Albert,

It may be the case that galley file types are only detected upon the first upload. I'd suggest deleting the existing galley and creating a new one with the file.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Albert » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:49 pm

Hello Alec,
I tried that already. I deleted the pdf file and uploaded a word document.
But when I uploaded the HTML file the wizard to add images did not open.
I hope that this was a punctual problem.
Thank you!
Albert
Albert

Postby asmecher » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:12 pm

Hi Albert,

I'm not sure I understand -- did you upload the word document as a galley? Or the HTML?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion