OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

PDF Embed Shows as HTML Code in Issue Preview

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

PDF Embed Shows as HTML Code in Issue Preview

Postby justalewis » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:49 pm

Hi,

I am using OJS 2.4.2.0.

My problem occurs when I'm previewing a future issue so I can't share the URL with you; however, I'll embed screenshots so you can see what's going on. I've tested in Firefox (17.0.1), Chrome (30.0.1. . . . ), and IE (8.0.7600 . . .) and received the same result.

I've filled out all the relevant metadata, uploaded individual article galleys in the layout section, and emulated the process I followed and had no trouble with in the previous issue (http://licsjournal.org/OJS/index.php/Li ... nt/showToc) .

I have what appears to be a fully function Table of Contents:

When I click the PDF link beside any of the articles, I'm directed to the PDF embed viewer. Instead of seeing the actual PDF embedded in the viewer, I see a bunch of HTML code:

Can anyone help me understand what I'm doing wrong or why this PDF won't render correctly? Is this because the issue is in "Preview" and not already "Published?"

Thanks so much and I look forward to your responses.

justin
justalewis

Re: PDF Embed Shows as HTML Code in Issue Preview

Postby JasonNugent » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:15 am

Hi justin,

What might be happening is that OJS is generating an error and returning some sort of server side error page instead of the rendered PDF. Can you check your server error log and see if anything gets logged there when you preview a PDF? Does the same PDF render correctly once everything is published?

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby justalewis » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:44 am

Just checked the server logs to see if any problems show up . . . . nada. :(

Going to get everything set just right and see if this problem occurs when I move the journal from preview to publish. I'm a little leery to do this as all of the folks who are registered as readers (editorial board, editorial associates, reviewers, etc.) will get an automated email letting them know that a new issue has been published. Is there a way to disable this functionality before I publish the new issue to check and see if the PDFs are rendering correctly? I'd hate for the powers that be to show up and see broken PDFs. :(

Thanks for all the help and please let me know if you think of anything else.
justalewis

Postby JasonNugent » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:05 pm

Hi justin,

If you like, send me a private message with a link and some temporary login credentials. I can at least take a look at the page and see if there is an error message buried in the HTML code that is showing in issue preview.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby JasonNugent » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:00 pm

HI justin,

I may have a sense of what's happening. Both the live and preview versions of the issue use the google doc viewer to route the PDF. The problem is that Google is not authenticated to your system when it tries to render the article by fetching the PDF (since it is unpublished and only editors can see unpublished content). So, the HTML you see is actually the table of contents again.

This won't happen once the issue is published. A better solution might be to edit the template so Google isn't involved at all.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Return to OJS Technical Support